One laptop knocks the other off the network when connecting

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 laptops, Win7 Home Premium & Win 7 Ultimate.

Whenever the Win7 Ultimate laptop connects to my WiFi network, the other laptop's connection goes into a 'limited connectivity' and I cannot access network drives or the internet, I am still connected to the WiFi network though.

I have to disconnect from the network and reconnect, (maybe try this a few times before it works) then they both play nice on the network. It never happens to the Win7 Ultimate laptop, that always seems to win the fight.

I have bought a new router hoping to fix this (I also wanted a WiFi N router, so not a waste of cash) but the problem still exists.

I have tried turning HomeGroup off, this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
go to change setting on the network window what do you have? you will need to right click on it and go to properties.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for reply

I have 'Local Area Connection': unplugged, and Wireless Network Connection: Connected.

It is working ok on this laptop at the moment, but when the other connects it causes problems.

Reaction score
check TCP/IP v6 and disable, then try again

EDIT

So you have them both wireless?

I would suggest you reset the router too!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I have just unticked IP6 from Wireless Network properties on both laptops, I have disconnected/reconnected both of them and it seems to work ok. I can't really say if this has fixed it as it is an intermittent problem.

EDIT

both wireless, I have reset router just to be sure (after the above test), but this happens too often on different routers for that to matter(?)

Reaction score
Ok, I have just unticked IP6 from Wireless Network properties on both laptops, I have disconnected/reconnected both of them and it seems to work ok. I can't really say if this has fixed it as it is an intermittent problem.

reset your router and update firmware,

let me know how you get on!

Reaction score
Will do, I will see how it plays out over the next few days. I will let you know how it goes, thanks for you help

Ask a Question