Not able to share files through Homegroup

Reaction score
Hi, I've setup the Homegroup between my PC and notebook (both using Win 7 Home Premium). I've also rename the workgroup for both PC & notebook to be exactly the same.

When I tried to share by right-clicking on the PC folder "Share with..." then "Homegroup (Read)", the notebook can see the Homegroup with my PC name and the shared folder name. But when I click on the PC shared folder on my notebook, it gives an Network Error (You do not have permission to access.....).

So I played around on my PC and found that my notebook can only view the PC shared folder when I add "Guest" to the sharing permission on my PC although it states that Homegroup is already with Read permission. Why is that so? Am I not sharing through Homegroup and not through as Guest? What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have never used a Homegroup but this should help ...

You might want to read & watch Microsoft's videos on homegroups from Microsoft. Specifically the "Homegroup from Start to Finish" on setting them up properly and then "Video: sharing files with Homegroup".

Reaction score
Hi, thanks...i tried all those you've suggested including leaving and creating new homegroup...but still cannot. It seems that my PC recognize the my notebook as user 'Guest' rather than part of the homegroup....quite frustrating.

Ask a Question