Nibiru2012 has moved to a new home!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Just moved to a new place where I now have internet download speeds of 28 Mbps download and 1.95 Mbps upload speed.

Woohoo! I am one happy camper!

We be rockin' now!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey! That's great! Congrats!

I'm stuck in France, with 15MB down and 0.85MB up. Worst of all, Internet cuts each time the phone is used.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're happy with the move, Nibs! That level of speed is awesome.

Last week, I finally got mine going. But you leave me in the dust!

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds to me a bad DSL filter may be the cause.
If you have DSL there needs to be a filter on every phone on the circuit, not just the one connected to the computer. And phones plug in the marked slot only. There is even a special type for the wall-mounted phones (like I have in the kitchen).

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That's great Nibs, welcome to the 21st century. :)
Yeah, my old connection was a 1.8 Mbps download and a .40 Mbps upload.

Now I can get my "Seed Ratio" back to snuff on the torrent sites.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Funny you mention 'torrent' sites. This is the second time someone mention torrent. Not sure what that is?

Can you tell me what torrent is?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you serious?

A torrent is a file or group of files listed on a torrent P2P (peer-to-peer) site. You need a torrent client such as BitTorrent. Basically instead of downloading all the file(s) from a website you download just a "tracker" which keeps track of who is available to share and then you get little pieces of the file from people all over the world. It can be an extremely fast way to get files because of the sheer volume of people which may be contributing chunks to you. It is your responsibility to continue distributing the file after you ave received it; the general rule is that you should "give back" at least twice as much as you download. "Leechers" are the people downloading the file and "Seeders" are the people uploading. Some people, of course, don't do their part and torrents die out. It can be quite frustrating when you and 10 other people or so have 80% of the total torrent but no one with the other 20% is still "seeding"; you will all keep sharing until you are at 80% and even get new people up to 80% but unless someone with the original file logs back in to the tracker, none of you will ever finish and incomplete files in the folder will be useless.

As with any P2P application it can also be abused to distribute copyrighted movies, music, and software. Such behavior in many countries can be prosecuted and such activity can often be limited by your ISP (Internet service Provider). Companies such as the MPAA will often track torrents in an attempt to prove you are downloading illegal movies and will generally contact your ISP. The MPAA can sue you but generally your ISP will threaten to cancel your service if such actions continue so they cannot be held liable for allowing illegal activity. You have probably heard of Napster which was shut down for trading in music but such services still exist in Limewire, etc. Essentially they are just P2P trackers that specialize in sharing music but it's all just peer-2-peer sharing of digital files.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup. They have that in France. "HADOPI" <- PITA

Proxies are awesome :D

Torrents are OK if what you're downloading is legal and has seeders. For example, the Ubuntu Iso torrent. Then again, if you're a seeder, it'll eat up your bandwitch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was pretty much in the same category as Kalario, as I really didn't completely understand what torrents were and why people kept talking about them so often.

Now that I understand what Torrents are, I have no desire to become part of the P2P shuffle to acquire them. Thanks for the prolific description, TrainableMan, as it helped me to realize that torrents are of absolutely no interest to this netizen.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
P2P can be quite useful and I use it quite often, some companies have even started distributing their software by this method. As with anything it can be good or it can be abused.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, torrents can be used to download Linux distros and other software.

It's like any other tool or device, it can be used for good or for bad. Depends on the users.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Prior to getting my ISP's service straightened out (now I'm actually getting what I pay for), I used uTorrent a lot to obtain Linux distros. You can take a slow (or problem) connection, and make it fast.

As TrainableMan precisely described, this is an excellent way to obtain software, as long as what you're obtaining is not breaking the law. One particular Linux distro (Linux XP) requires the use of a torrent, as it's distributed from Russia. There are others, but this is one example.

However, it has been reported that there are risks in using torrents, but I would assume that having a good firewall (such as the one that's included in Win 7) will help to cover you. As a good rule of thumb, use torrents only when needed, and run a full scan with the AV of your choice to make sure you're clean.

Nibs, I sure hope that you're enjoying your new home (and ISP), as lately, I've been enjoying mine as well. After the months of fighting my ISP, which is well documented on this very forum, I can now say that I'm content with my service, even though I'm tied down by a wire (the RCA DCM425 router). It's reported to be future proof for years to come.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Here's the little doodad from speedtest.net

and the one from PingTest.net

Reaction score
Thats right rub it in. Do your "Who's your daddy" dance. LOL

While the rest of us are :turtle::embarassed::turtle::bawling:

Ask a Question