Nibiru2012 has moved to a new home!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You are lovin' it aren't you?
Now check this out... my boss at work today gave me his old Radeon HD5770 Video Card 1 GB RAM 800 stream processors! Woohoo!

He upgraded to two HD5790s... WOW!

Here's what mine looks like:

The Creator of the Universe has been very good to me these past two weeks. I am very thankful!

Reaction score
Nibiru, check out these stellar stats!

speed.png

ping.png

I'm fairly close to your bandwidth and ping results .. Not!! A man can dream though. :D

Glad you're enjoying supersonic transport as you traverse the internet continuum.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Now check this out... my boss at work today gave me his old Radeon HD5770 Video Card 1 GB RAM 800 stream processors! Woohoo!

He upgraded to two HD5790s... WOW!

Here's what mine looks like:

The Creator of the Universe has been very good to me these past two weeks. I am very thankful!
Can you pick some Lotto numbers for me?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I get my numbers first then you're next.

My boss upgraded to the HD 5970s not 5790s! Another brain fart in Central Texas. LOL!

Reaction score
Cat, Interesting to see such a major disparity between your download and upload stats.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've wondered about that myself. But as long as my download speeds are there, I'm not complaining. I guessing that the upload would be from my computer.

But I can download 700MB linux discs in 12 minutes or less. That's not bad, for $34.90/month (including taxes).

Cat

Reaction score
I always wondered what kind of freak of nature algorithms the ISPs use to determine server speeds from one section of the country to the next. The extremes in packet loss seem to have something to do with geographic location. I am paying $19.99/month, so why should I be getting faster upload speed than you? Doesn't make sense, as I read in your specs that you have 4 gigs of RAM and I only have 3 gigs. Obviously, there are many other factors at play here.

Perhaps FIOS is the answer to copper wiring issues. Of course, the price difference will increase exponentially...so there's that. LOL

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how the ISP's work together, but I do know this. I download many updated Linux discs, and I have several servers to choose from. If one is slow (for example, 280KB/sec), I'll go to another one and I'll get 1.2MB/sec.

But I would agree that RAM has something to do with things, as video and news clips loads a lot faster than when I had only 2GB (stock RAM). It was only recently that I got my speed up to par, my download speeds were what was concerning me, nothing else. An hour and a half to download 300MB of updates was pissing me off, when I was (and still am) paying for 7mbps.

In fact, up until last week, I never had a consistent speed. Before I upgraded, I had RoadRunner "lite" (1.5mbps) and my speed was very consistent (178KB/sec). I was getting my money's worth at that time.

It took swapping routers three times, constantly calling and complaining, and finally just going wired to get my speed in order.

But as to how it all works, I just don't know. All that I care about is my download speed, as I download upwards of 100GB most months, and I don't want anymore lackluster service.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I've wondered about that myself. But as long as my download speeds are there, I'm not complaining. I guessing that the upload would be from my computer.

But I can download 700MB linux discs in 12 minutes or less. That's not bad, for $34.90/month (including taxes).

Cat
Upload speed is NOT determined by one's computer at all. It's the ISP that sets that speed.

Also if one has 2GB of RAM or more, download speed is really not affected either by the computer except the CPU has a little bit to do with it. That's why the Windows 7 tweaks at SpeedGuide.net have a setting for adjusting that and the DCA (Direct Cache Access).

We pay at this house $35.00/month for the speeds I posted, plus taxes. Not bad eh?

I guess that's the difference between Austin, TX and North Carolina.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Still, the speed that I have is a lot faster (I mean a LOT FASTER) than what I had with the cell service providers, and I'm not tied down to 5GB per month.

When I ran my speed test, it showed the national average, and I was almost double that. When your downloads are running at 1.2MB/sec, that's respectable speed. I don't care about the upload, as long as I can get my work done.

And when I was with the cell phone providers, I was paying $59.99/month, plus taxes & surcharges, making it around $70/month (Verizon Wireless). For 5GB monthly. That once met my needs, but now I can be paying for two of my connections for that price. It's convenient for those on the go, or has no other option. But it's costly, even more so if you go over that 5GB mark. My average usage is 100-120GB/monthly.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
5 GB a month... hell I chew up that in day or less!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Me too! That's why the cell phone ISP's are of no use to me. Plus, your speed, if you're lucky, reaches 100KB/sec on downloads. While that's plenty good enough to view the web, email, shop, etc, downloads takes forever.

Ask a Question