New Custom Order

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I doubt if you would wear out a CPU searching your hard drive. I have 2.96 TB of total hard drive space.

This is what I currently have at the house now:

1 - 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for the OS and programs plus downloads. It's partitioned.

1 - 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue in a MOBILSTOR JBOD external case for documents, photos, files, wallpapers, etc., via eSATA connection.

1 - 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for tons of Audio FLAC files, MP3s, and AVI video collections in the MOBILSTOR JBOD external case via eSATA connection.

1 - 160 GB Fujitsu 2.5" SATA drive in a portable enclosure with leather carrying case for software and drivers. I use when I work on peoples computers, less bulky. USB 2.0 connection.

1 - 80 GB DataTech SATA I drive for Paging File, OS Temp Files and OS Backup Image.

Within the next few weeks I'll be getting an OCZ Vertex II SSD 50GB drive with 280 Mbps read and 250 Mbps write with 235 Mbps sustained write speed.

Whew! Time to stop... I think. :)

Reaction score
Why bother removing the crap?
Just do a clean install.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Can't do a clean install without the crapware. This is an HP, not a home built. To do a clean install with no crapware I'd have to buy a retail version of Windows 7. Extra $$$$ :(
I can buy Recovery CDs from HP for $10 -$20, but they'll have the same exact software/crapware as what comes on the computer.

I do have one retail version on my present computer, but I'll probably be using that for some time to come, so.......

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Can't do a clean install without the crapware. This is an HP, not a home built. To do a clean install with no crapware I'd have to buy a retail version of Windows 7. Extra $$$$ :(
I can buy Recovery CDs from HP for $10 -$20, but they'll have the same exact software/crapware as what comes on the computer.

I do have one retail version on my present computer, but I'll probably be using that for some time to come, so.......
DallasDad, you don't need to spend anything for Recovery DVD's, the program for it (HP usually uses Power2Go) will already be there. It should be in your Start Menu, you may have to open the suite with all of the options. But on mine, there was a reminder to create them, too. Be sure to have five (most likely you'll only need three or four) non-rewritable DVD's on hand for the task. And about an hour and a half's time, as each disc is burned, the data on it will be verified, this will take longer than burning the discs will. And HP doesn't keep recovery discs on hand for long, they no longer have mine. Too, and most importantly, your computer was custom built for you, so mass produced recovery DVD's probably won't work for you. Therefore, it is important for you to read your manual carefully, the instructions for making your own recovery discs will be in it. I hope that you enjoy your new computer.

Reaction score
You can download an ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. This is the same version that is installed on the HP according to your computer specs. Using the Windows Key that is placed on the side of the case as a label. You should be able to do a clean install, without purchasing Windows 7 again. However if you decide to try this approach, please be sure to make the disk that catilley mentioned above.

Reaction score
Congrats on a new computer DallasDad :top:, did you go ATI for the graphics ?
Yes I did, the the 5770. ;)

Hope you enjoy your new PC :D. What specs did you go for? :)
Thanks Ian. The new specs are listed under "Dallasdads computer specs" under my avatar, but It'll have an i7 860, 4GB ram, 640 GB hard drive and an ATI Radeon 5770 GPU.
It won't be the biggest kid on the block, but I think it'll be a nice unit though.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I agree on doing the backup as I know some companies wont repair or refund if there is a problem and you've gone and wiped the drive, did a clean install without all the crap and have no way to recreate the drive as it was once you recieve it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I agree on doing the backup as I know some companies wont repair or refund if there is a problem and you've gone and wiped the drive, did a clean install without all the crap and have no way to recreate the drive as it was once you recieve it.

That's one of many reasons why I build my own.

1. It's a better build for the money than what the computer makers can do.
2. I KNOW what the hardware is and it's usually much better quality too.
3. I can configure the system the way I want it to be.
4. No crapware, bloatware and other junk clogging up the system.
5. From the power supply on up to the graphics card, custom-built is always better. I have never seen a factory-made computer with a decent quality power supply... ever.

Reaction score
I second that Nibiru2012

Custom builds are better.

I am on my 3rd custom built PC, My 2nd is still running as good as new.

Building your own you know what's in the system.

Check out my spec

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I second that Nibiru2012

Custom builds are better.

I am on my 3rd custom built PC, My 2nd is still running as good as new.

Building your own you know what's in the system.

Check out my spec
And I also agree with Niburu and Plaster. Custom build is better. Though, Dallasdad, being able to choose the important components is already good for a start.
You can't deny that what Dallasdad has as specs is already very nice.

Reaction score
WOW! Got that computer today and boy does this processor kick butt!! I love it! :D:D
My other computer has a Q6600 quad, but it doesn't even come close to the i7 860.

Haven't had time to get everything set up yet, but I'm workin on it. It'll take a while to get everything the way I want it, but then that's half the fun. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
WOW! Got that computer today and boy does this processor kick butt!! I love it! :D:D
My other computer has a Q6600 quad, but it doesn't even come close to the i7 860.

Haven't had time to get everything set up yet, but I'm workin on it. It'll take a while to get everything the way I want it, but then that's half the fun. :)
Great! Have fun with it ;)

Any way you could post a photo of it?

Reaction score
Get a download of PC Decrappifier, it's free and works quite well.

I also use "Your Uninstaller Pro" to get rid of programs I no longer need, test, or that are old. It's a paid program though.

Revo Uninstaller is good too and it's free also.

Nibiru I Googled "Your Uninstaller Pro" and found 2 companies playing with that name...."Ursoftware" and "Softpedia".

One calls it Your Uninstaller but then mentions their "Pro Version" & the other is "Your Uninstaller Pro 2010". Sounds like one of them is purposely trying to create confusion.

Could you tell me which one yours is? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wouldn't softpedia simply be a middle man.

The best I can remember they put links to the original source with all the software listed on their site. I think it was softpedia I was using at one time to find the original author to allot of software.

Reaction score
As an aside you could build an AMD system that would be the equivalent of that system, with a motherboard that would be vastly better for overclocking and upgradeability. There is no mention of the PSU - I would bet both my self-built desktops it is a cheap $20 model.

Reaction score
As an aside you could build an AMD system that would be the equivalent of that system, with a motherboard that would be vastly better for overclocking and upgradeability. There is no mention of the PSU - I would bet both my self-built desktops it is a cheap $20 model.
Well AK it's been about a week now, would you still like to bet those two self built desktops as to whether or not that cheap $20 model is still doing it's job or not?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well AK it's been about a week now, would you still like to bet those two self built desktops as to whether or not that cheap $20 model is still doing it's job or not?
Yes. Have you tried running Crysis for 6 hrs @ 1080p? Any upgrades you add may overload that PSU, and its a mystery what the rails are rated at, or the ripple figures or the efficiency curve or well anything. And the motherboard - ?

Ask a Question