Custom Icon Problem

Reaction score
I have sort of a strange dilemma. I have ripped all of my CD's to MP3 and store them in folders on an external hard drive. I have been scanning album covers into my computer to use as the folder icons for each disc. I use a program to convert the .jpg to an icon. I attach it to the folder and all is good. Occasionally something happens and it reverts back to the default folder icon. Any ideas? I don't want to spend the time doing this any longer if I can't get this stopped.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your problem is fairly common and I have not seen a solution that seems to last. The icon information is stored in a hidden file called Desktop.ini but unfortunately there are programs that edit or delete this file, often causing the icon information to be lost. It is also lost if you ever move the file and I have even read it can be affected if you plug your external drive in and it happens to be assigned a different drive letter (which is common if it is used on multiple computers).

It would not be quite as pretty but W7 does have a default option that may be satisfactory. If you store a copy of the album art you like as Folder.jpg then it will automatically be displayed in Windows Explorer when you select Medium, Large, or Extra Large Icon View. It is not a complete replacement, the picture is shown as popping out of a folder so that you still know it is a folder rather than a picture but it may be your best choice.

Reaction score
I guess that's what happened. I had unplugged my drive and plugged it back in and it was gone. I appreciate the advice, I will check into it.

Ask a Question