SOLVED Custom 32bit installation on Win7 64bit

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a program that doubles as a screensaver. In order for it to work as a screensaver it must be installed in the 'Program Files' folder. Unfortunately, Windows7 64bit (Professional Edition) wants to put it in 'Program Files (x86)' folder. When I try to select it as the screensaver I get a 'Cannot find file' error.

When I run the program as a standalone, it runs fine.

It is an older 32bit program written for Windows XP. No option for where to install the program comes up during installation.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling using 'Run as Administrator' and Compatibility modes. It installs and runs exactly the same.

Does anybody know how I might direct Windows to install it to the 'Program Files' folder, or direct the screensaver program to find it in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I solved it. Sort of...

Someone at another forum presented the solution of just cutting and pasting the program from one folder to the other. I moved the whole folder, which still generated errors. I then edited the registry for everything that came up on a search for [the program] to reflect the new location. Still got the errors. I then COPIED the folder from the Program Files folder back to the old location. Then everything began working.

This presents obvious loose ends for uninstalling, but I don't plan in uninstalling unless an update comes out, so I'll just deal with it then. Thanks everyone anyway for looking. :)

Ask a Question