New Computer Purchase - Recommendations Required

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to Windows 7 Forums and you may well remember my recent introduction thread.

I wish to purchase a new desktop PC running Windows 7 Pro (probably 64 bit). So, I'm trying to decide which manufacturer can deliver the goods. I don't really want to go with one of the big boys unless essential. Instead, I fancy one of the UK manufacturers but, reading around, I wonder if some of these companies are still trying to find their feet. In saying that, I am more than happy to be proved wrong.

Does anyone have any manufacturer recommendations and perhaps even specific products? I'm looking at the likes of an Intel Core i5 machine with at least 4GB RAM. I'm not a gamer but I participate in the World Community Grid - so the PC is required to do a lot of number-crunching.

Thanks in advance.

JPC

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, if it was me I would build it myself since you can usually put better quality components and the type you really need. Building your own system is very easy. It's not rocket science believe me. If you can use Phillips # 1 & #2 screwdrivers and plug in cables you can do this.

I don't know anything about British computer makers and such. Maybe davehc can help you on this one or Veedaz.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another thumbs up for building your own - it's good fun :D

If you're looking to avoid one of the big companies, then Novatech.co.uk may be worth checking out. I've not used them myself, but I've heard positive things from other people.

Overclockers.co.uk also have an excellent repuation, although they can be a tad more expensive. :)

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions of manufacturers.

Currently, I do not have time to build my own PC and things will remain that way for a long time. So, buying a pre-built machine is the only viable option.

Thanks again.

JPC

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Currently, I do not have time to build my own PC and things will remain that way for a long time. So, buying a pre-built machine is the only viable option.
It only takes about one hour to assemble a computer and about an average of one to two hours to install the operating system, drivers, and other software.

Whatever you do don't get a DELL! I don't know if they sell them overseas or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are there any computer stores around your way? If so you could visit a few and ask for prices on a custom build, tell them what you need to do and get quotes and specs from 2 or 3 places. Compare and see how you go that way.

Reaction score
It only takes about one hour to assemble a computer and about an average of one to two hours to install the operating system, drivers, and other software.

Whatever you do don't get a DELL! I don't know if they sell them overseas or not.
Many thanks for your feedback.

I can well appreciate that a computer could be assembled quickly by someone who has previously been through the learning curve. Unfortunately, I haven't. So, I'm more than happy to purchase a pre-built machine and I'll take on board your last paragraph.

All the best,

JPC

Reaction score
Are there any computer stores around your way? If so you could visit a few and ask for prices on a custom build, tell them what you need to do and get quotes and specs from 2 or 3 places. Compare and see how you go that way.
Thanks for your reply.

There is only one store in my area (of which I'm aware) but I'm not specifically looking to buy a custom build. Instead, I favour the idea of starting with a particular model then making a few tweaks to it. Several companies operate like this. For example, one supplier (not local) can offer a particular model that comes with an Intel Core i7 860 as standard but, for a few pounds more, this CPU can be upgraded to a Core i7 870.

Thanks again.

JPC

Reaction score
Custom build does not have to mean anything exotic. To use the example you just gave the supplier will upgrade the cpu for you so that is customising in a sense or perhaps you'd prefer the term "build to order". All Pc's start from an empty case and then depending on your budget it will depend what goes inside. So using your example again you could probably ask that company to give you other build options to different price brackets.

Reaction score
Custom build does not have to mean anything exotic. To use the example you just gave the supplier will upgrade the cpu for you so that is customising in a sense or perhaps you'd prefer the term "build to order". All Pc's start from an empty case and then depending on your budget it will depend what goes inside. So using your example again you could probably ask that company to give you other build options to different price brackets.
Hi Mychael,

Thanks again.

Your point is well-taken. When I hear the term 'custom build', I tend to think of giving a supplier a list of components for which I've done the research and asking them to build according to my specification. As you rightly say, I prefer the term 'build to order'.

The main point of starting this thread, though, was to see if anyone could recommend a UK PC manufacturer. There are a handful of which I'm aware. As I said elsewhere in this thread, the only reason for selecting a UK manufacturer is that it might just make things easier in the event of problems arising. Previous experience has proven that to be the case.

All the best!

JPC

Reaction score
The main point of starting this thread, though, was to see if anyone could recommend a UK PC manufacturer. There are a handful of which I'm aware. As I said elsewhere in this thread, the only reason for selecting a UK manufacturer is that it might just make things easier in the event of problems arising. Previous experience has proven that to be the case.
All the best!
JPC
Dealing Uk is certainly preferred for your convienience but do understand that there are no "manafacturers" in the sense that everything is actually made by them. Most (as far as I know all) manafacturers will be useing components from lots of other suppliers. Maybe re-branding but often not and then putting them in their case with their name Eg Dell.

Reaction score
Dealing Uk is certainly preferred for your convienience but do understand that there are no "manafacturers" in the sense that everything is actually made by them. Most (as far as I know all) manafacturers will be useing components from lots of other suppliers. Maybe re-branding but often not and then putting them in their case with their name Eg Dell.
Hi Mychael,

I am fully aware that a PC manufacturer is using motherboards from the likes of ASUS, HDDs from the likes of Maxtor, CPUs from Intel or AMD, RAM from Kingston or Corsair and the list goes on. However, thanks for mentioning it.

JPC

Ask a Question