purchase computer with 64 bit

Reaction score
The computer I am considering from Sams Club says that it comes loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have read about some compatability issues with older software and other problems. Is it likely that I will be able to choose 32 bit over 64 or am I stuck with it?

Reaction score
Hi karlo54 - Welcome to w7forums

Having a choice initially to select 32-bit or 64-bit when you first power on the computer would depend on the manufacturer and whether or not they included the choice. In general you will not have this choice. However, your worries could all be for nothing. Most 32-bit applications will work fine on Windows 64-bit version.

The average home user will never find an application that will not work. With that said, you may have to do a little tweaking to get some of the apps to work such as XP or Vista compatibility modes. The main concern for all users of Windows 64-bit is whether their hardware has 64-bit drivers, such as printers scanners and cameras.

Reaction score
Thank you Clifford. I do not know whether I will be given a choice at purchase but I agree with you that I problobably will not be. I am just concerned that when I try to load MS Office 2003 that I will have problems. ( I do not like Office 2007)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have run Office 2003 on a 64 bit system with no problems at all in the past.

Office 2007 ran also with no issues, I now use Office 2010 x64 and it's FAST!

Ask a Question