new computer purchase - please help

P

pattit

Hello! I am new here, and apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

I am getting my daughter, a grad student, a new laptop for Christmas. The sales recently are about to expire, and I am at a crossroads. I found a really good deal on a HP, but even if I customize it, it only offers the 64 bit Windows 7 OS. People are advising me that is a very bad thing, that nothing will run properly. I do not know what to do. Should I look for another computer for her?

And, what about Microsoft 2007? Does it work with 64 bit?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted! TIA!

Reaction score
Hi.

It will be perfectly fine and so will the Office app. If you need any help with drivers, please let us know and we will be glad to help you.

Not a problem.

Reaction score
Hi pattit - Welcome to w7forums

I know personally that Office 2007 will run perfectly

TorrentG is correct, Everything should run just fine. It's the older hardware that is more of a problem than anything. Printers and scanners that are over 3 years old may have difficulty installing drivers.

P

pattit

Hi pattit - Welcome to w7forums

I know personally that Office 2007 will run perfectly

TorrentG is correct, Everything should run just fine. It's the older hardware that is more of a problem than anything. Printers and scanners that are over 3 years old may have difficulty installing drivers.
Thank you both for your help. Her printer is 6 years old, but I looked on the HP website and they have a 64 bit Windows 7 driver for it, so I hope that means it will be ok?

Another question - the Lenovo site has a computer that offers both 32 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit Windows 7. What would you do in that case, if the prices were comparable?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Another question - the Lenovo site has a computer that offers both 32 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit Windows 7. What would you do in that case, if the prices were comparable?
We are currently in a transitional period between 32-Bit and 64-Bit. Many people are already moving on with 64-Bit. However 32-Bit will live on as long as it is being sold. I would encourage everyone to move past the 32-Bit era. This will further persuade manufacturers to leave the 32-Bit era as well. The longer we as a whole stay in the 32-Bit world the longer it will be before applications are fully supporting 64-Bit.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have had my new 64 bit system for over two weeks now, and I'm pleased with it. And also, many 32 bit programs runs well on 64 bit systems, so the move forward will be smooth. Too, Windows 7 is SO much better than any OS that I've used. In the near future, I'll need a printer, otherwise everything's perfect. Too, I agree that as more users migrate to 64 bit, more 64 bit programs will be created and at some point, 32 bit will become obsolete. Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.

P

pattit

Thank you to everyone for your advice and experiences! We bought her a Lenovo with the 64 bit OS. I so very much appreciate your help!

Ask a Question