New Computer Builder Need's Help !!!

Reaction score
I'm building a new computer and having problems getting even the BIOS to appear on screen. My components are as follows :
ECS A790GXM-A motherboard
AMD Phenom 2 965 125W TDP Black Edition CPU (Also, tried AMD Phenom 2 920 CPU with same results)
Cosair XMS2 1066 mhz ram 4 x 2048 mb. sticks part number TWIN2X4096-8500C7 G ( Also tried Crucial 677 mhz. 2 x 2048 mb. sticks part number CT25664AA667 same results)
Corsair TX750W 750 watt psu.
Hauppage WinTV HVR-1800 PCIe x1 tv tuner card
XFX Radeon HD5770 PCIe x16 1.0 GB. video card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1.0 TB. hard drive
Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD-RW x2
NZXT Tempest EVO case

I've tried getting to see anything on screen with using first the on board graphics. Nothing. Second the XFX graphics. Nothing again. I've tried individual sticks of both 677 mhz. ram and 1066 mhz. ram. Again nothing. I sent motherboard back, same problem with new motherboard. I've tried both Phenom 2 920 cpu and Phenom 2 965 BE cpu's, problem still the same. All fans in my NZXT Tempest EVO case work. I also, had this same problem with 7 Biostar TA790GX-A2 128MB motherboards with the following cpu's AMD Athlon x2 6000. Phenom 9950 BE and Phenom 2 920.
During all computer put togethters I've used both an anti-static strap and a anti-static mat. I've also, tried a Sony 20x SATA DVD RW , Sony 22X DVD RW SATA and 2 Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD RW's. I've gotten the same results everytime and am completely annoyed. I've even tried all stock AMD heatsinks with corresponding cpu's. I've also, tried Zalman CNPS9700 LED and a Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme. Same results yet again. This problem is really getting old fast.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi brkkab123 - Welcome to w7forums

Do you have all the power cables connected?

4pin CPU connector
6pin GPU power connector
20\24pin Motherboard connector

What about a different monitor to try?
Are you sure the computer power cord is plugged in and the if the power supply has a switch and in the on position?

Even if your monitor is not receiving a signal, there should be a no signal message when you turn on the monitor. Are you seeing this message?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi brkkab123

A list of things that are working and not working would be a big help (eg) MOBO LEDs, HDDs spinning up, Case LEDs, Fans spinning, - Case - CPU - GPU - PSU, all info will help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
...please post help quickly as he needs to escape the Best Buy storage room before he is discovered by the day-shift ... ;) Sounds like parts heaven.

When you attached the MOBO to the case plate did you use the rubber washers?
Only some holes get the rubber washer, the metal holes should actually have contact, no washer, this is a common mistake.

First off the MOBO has onboard video so I wouldn't even plug the 5770 or wintv in until you have the rest working, just use the onboard.

Memory DDR2-1066 should definately be supported not sure of the 677.

965 @ 140W, 920 @ 125W based on board specs...
http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBDetail.aspx?id=39

Some top-level AM3 processors (x945 125W, x955 and x965) require a special power-supply feature, often called "dual power-plane". It's supported by default in all native AM3 mainboards, however not in most AM2+ mainboards. So is this an AM3 board? otherwise use the 920

And if your MOBO wiring to case is wrong then it won't work or worse if you end up sending power to the wrong place you can fry components.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Install-a-Motherboard/145/1

Reaction score
PSU was replaced

The only thing I see you haven't replaced is the PSU.
PSU was replaced and my NZXT Tempest EVO's 6 case fans all work. AMD Phenom 2 965 125W TDP cpu is supported by my ECS A790GXM-A motherboard.

Reaction score
No washers are needed with this board.

Hi brkkab123

A list of things that are working and not working would be a big help (eg) MOBO LEDs, HDDs spinning up, Case LEDs, Fans spinning, - Case - CPU - GPU - PSU, all info will help.
Everything works. Hard drive, Video card, PSU, Heatsink fan, 6 case fans, TV tuner, Monitor is hooked to computer I'm using for this. Both Samsung and both Sony DVD-RW's all open. I just can't get into bios pressing delete key or F12 or Escape or any other keys. I've even tried placing the Windows 7 Professional x64 DVD-Rom in same results. No go no matter what I try. I'm completely out of ideas other than trashing everything and forgetting it.

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a RMA for the ram from Corsair.

I'm building a new computer and having problems getting even the BIOS to appear on screen. My components are as follows :
ECS A790GXM-A motherboard
AMD Phenom 2 965 125W TDP Black Edition CPU (Also, tried AMD Phenom 2 920 CPU with same results)
Cosair XMS2 1066 mhz ram 4 x 2048 mb. sticks part number TWIN2X4096-8500C7 G ( Also tried Crucial 677 mhz. 2 x 2048 mb. sticks part number CT25664AA667 same results)
Corsair TX750W 750 watt psu.
Hauppage WinTV HVR-1800 PCIe x1 tv tuner card
XFX Radeon HD5770 PCIe x16 1.0 GB. video card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1.0 TB. hard drive
Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD-RW x2

I've tried getting to see anything on screen with using first the on board graphics. Nothing. Second the XFX graphics. Nothing again. I've tried individual sticks of both 677 mhz. ram and 1066 mhz. ram. Again nothing. I sent motherboard back, same problem with new motherboard. I've tried both Phenom 2 920 cpu and Phenom 2 965 BE cpu's, problem still the same. All fans in my NZXT Tempest EVO case work. I also, had this same problem with 7 Biostar TA790GX-A2 128MB motherboards with the following cpu's AMD Athlon x2 6000. Phenom 9950 BE and Phenom 2 920.
During all computer put togethters I've used both an anti-static strap and a anti-static mat. I've also, tried a Sony 20x SATA DVD RW , Sony 22X DVD RW SATA and 2 Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD RW's. I've gotten the same results everytime and am completely annoyed. I've even tried all stock AMD heatsinks with corresponding cpu's. I've also, tried Zalman CNPS9700 LED and a Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme. Same results yet again. This problem is really getting old fast.
I'm also, awaiting a RMA for the 8 gbs. of Corsair PC8500 DDR2. That's the only idea I can think of that may be bad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All cables are connected

All cables are connected. 24 pin power connected. 8 pin power connected. Front Panel connectors are connected. Power connected to all 6 case fans are connected. Power fron psu connected to video card's 6 pin connector, from psu to hard drive, from psu to both Samsung DVD-RW's. SATA Cable 1 to hard drive is connected. Sata Cable 2 connected to ist Samsung DVD-RW. SATA cable 3 connected to 2nd Samsung DVD-RW. SAT cable 4 connected to cases eSATA front panel connector. Front panel USB connector connected to motherboards USB1 connector. CPU Fan is connected on mobo above ram slots. Rear fan of case is connected on mobo below 8 pin auxillary power connector. Case speaker is connected on 4 pin speaker connector on mobo. HD Audio is connected from Front Panel to HD Audio connector on bottom left of mobo. Side Panel fan is connected to mobo on lower right side 3 pin connector. Other 4 case fans ( Both Top 140 mm and both hard drive 120 mm. connected directly to psu. All 6 case fans and heatsink fan all work.

4pin CPU connector
6pin GPU power connector

Are you sure the computer power cord is plugged in and the if the power supply has a switch and in the on position?

Even if your monitor is not receiving a signal, there should be a no signal message when you turn on the monitor. Are you seeing this message?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just a thought brkkab123 have you the chance to try the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse on another Computer ? as a process of elimination.

Reaction score
It's been replaced.

The only thing I see you haven't replaced is the PSU.
PSU was replaced and works. Power Button turns on pc, monitor, DVD-RW's and all 7 fans including 6 case fans and heatsink fan.l

Reaction score
Monitor is working as I'm replying to you on the eMachine computer I'm using.

The Dell 17" LCD is currently working fine on the eMachines pc I've used to post on this forum. All power cables and component cables are hooked to mobo and/or psu. Yes, I get the No Signal message even without Video Card or TV Tunerr installed on mobo..

4pin CPU connector
6pin GPU power connector

Reaction score
Working things list

All 4 DVD-RW's work, All CPU heatsinks work. XFX Radeon HD5770 video card worked in this pc (eMachines T6534 that I've posted on forum with) I have no way to test Hard Drive (no SATA on this eMachines pc) or TV Tuner (no PCIe x1ports on this eMachines pc I'm currnetly using. DVD-RW's open up and light goes on , on all 4. I've tried both Sony's together and both Samsung's together. All case fans work on NZXT Tempest EVO 96 fans- 4 to psu directly & 2 to mobo directly). Cases Power Button works.
Hi brkkab123

Reaction score
I get same results with Phenom 2 920

I get the same results with the Phenom 2 920. I then purchased the Phenom 2 965 125W TDP after hearing that the 125W TDP Phenom 2 965 BE worked for other's with this motherboard fine and overclocked more reliably than the 965 140W TDP Black Edition did. This was all after RMAing first Phenom 2 920 and it not working in 7th Biostar TA790GX-A2+ 128M motherboard or this motherboard.
...please post help quickly as he needs to escape the Best Buy storage room before he is discovered by the day-shift ... ;) Sounds like parts heaven.

When you attached the MOBO to the case plate did you use the rubber washers?
Only some holes get the rubber washer, the metal holes should actually have contact, no washer, this is a common mistake.

First off the MOBO has onboard video so I wouldn't even plug the 5770 or wintv in until you have the rest working, just use the onboard.

Memory DDR2-1066 should definately be supported not sure of the 677.

965 @ 140W, 920 @ 125W based on board specs...
http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBDetail.aspx?id=39

Some top-level AM3 processors (x945 125W, x955 and x965) require a special power-supply feature, often called "dual power-plane". It's supported by default in all native AM3 mainboards, however not in most AM2+ mainboards. So is this an AM3 board? otherwise use the 920

And if your MOBO wiring to case is wrong then it won't work or worse if you end up sending power to the wrong place you can fry components.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Install-a-Motherboard/145/1

Reaction score
They're all being used as I reply to you.

They've all been used on tis eMachines T6534 for a few years now. I've also tried the the Corsair TX750W psu and XFX Radeon HD5770 in this computer. Both work fine, also.
Just a thought brkkab123 have you the chance to try the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse on another Computer ? as a process of elimination.

Reaction score
LEDs work

The case doesn't have normal blinking LED's for hard drive activity. The NZXT Tempest EVO case I'm using has LED's on the 2 front fans. They work. The side panel fan has a LED. It works. The front of the case has a LED on each side from top to bottom of it's front panel. Both front panel left and right LED's work.
All 4 DVD-RW's work, All CPU heatsinks work. XFX Radeon HD5770 video card worked in this pc (eMachines T6534 that I've posted on forum with) I have no way to test Hard Drive (no SATA on this eMachines pc) or TV Tuner (no PCIe x1ports on this eMachines pc I'm currnetly using. DVD-RW's open up and light goes on , on all 4. I've tried both Sony's together and both Samsung's together. All case fans work on NZXT Tempest EVO 96 fans- 4 to psu directly & 2 to mobo directly). Cases Power Button works.

Reaction score
LED's all work

Cases front panel LED's are different from other cases. It's a NZXT Tempest EVO and the front Panel LED's on it are on each front of the panel from top to bottom on left and right. They light up and so do the 2 front panel fans LED's and side panel fan's LED's. As far as clearing the CMOS, I don't know how to do that. Don't I have to be able to get into the bios to do that ? If so , that's one of my problems. Pressing Delete key does nothing. Neither do any other keys on 2 keyboards I have that both work. I''ve tried both my working Logitech wired mouse and keyboard. They do nothing on that computer, but work with the eMachines T6534 I'm using for this post. I also have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Destop (original 2005 version). It's being used right now to post this reply with.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You have done just about everything you can to get this to work, Okay?

1. Rubber or insulated washers for motherboard mounting I haven't seen in about 9 years, so don't worry about that.

2. Your ECS motherboard manual states to press the DELETE key to get to the BIOS.

3. Have you updated the BIOS using the latest BIOS firmware update?

4. Not to burst your bubble, but ECS motherboards are NOT known for their reliability or quality. I used to work at Fry's Electronics for about 4 years, guess which brand of motherboard had the highest return rate by far... that's right, ECS! Also, Biostar motherboards aren't very good boards either, stay away from them too.

No one I know of who is a regular geek or uber geek will even consider an ECS or Biostar motherboard. Basically, they are a real P.O.C.!

5. Are you getting any display at all on the monitor?

6. If it were me, I would take the ECS motherboard back to where you got it and get yourself either an ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or a DFI-LanParty board.
Personally I prefer Gigabyte because they're rock-solid, high quality and get VERY good reviews in addition to being a good "bang for the buck" purchase. However ASUS and DFI make very good motherboards too.

ASUS and Gigabyte are the two top-rated motherboard makers these days.

You have done everything you can to get this working, all of the other hardware is working, correct?

You definitely have a motherboard problem in my opinion. DON'T buy a motherboard with on-board video since it just wastes resources and space on the motherboard.

Quit wasting your time and all the grief you're experiencing. I'll bet you once you get a better motherboard you won't have these issues.

Here's a good Gigabyte board from Newegg for $124.99
GIGABYTE GA-790XT-USB3 AM3 AMD 790X USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haven't updated bios

No, I haven't updated the bios. I've currently got the updated bios and drivers saved on this eMachines T6534 computer. I'm not sure how to do it. Especially, when all I get on the LCD's screen is something like No Connection or something like that.
When I tried getting it to boot off my Windows 7 x68 & x64 disks it wouldn't work, so I tried for the heck of it to see if maybe the motherboards disk would work. It didn't.
I'm not sure of the procedure for updating the bios. Can it be done from a 2.0 gb. flash drive ?

Ask a Question