Network adapter not working whilst installing Netgear WRN2000

Reaction score
Help

I have just purchased a new ACER desktop and whilst trying to installmy netgear wireless router so my daughter can have access to the internet on her laptop, I keep getting the same message in the installation assistant.

"The Network Adaptor is not responding" I have tried all the suggestions on the Window troubleshooting page and its really frustrating me.

Can any one help?

Seasalt

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The "Network Adapter is not responding" does that refer to the laptop's adapter or the ACER desktop adapter?

Have you tried logging in to the router's configuration menu? You type the router's address into the browser's URL bar, something like: 192.168.0.1 or it could be: 192.168.1.1

Most routers use a default of User Name as: admin and the password is: password.

Once you get into the router's menu you can see what computers are showing up on the URL page.

Consult your router manual for the exact methods and such.

Is the driver loaded for the network adapter?

Reaction score
the message refer's to the ACER and I have checked the driver is loaded and it is up to date.

I have tried to log on to the url this may sound like a stupid question but do I have to connect the router to the modem because if I do this it can't find the web page

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Everything should be connected. Not having the modem connected to the router may cause the issues your having because the router cannot complete it's functions.

First, unplug the power to both the router and the modem and turn off your computer. Then reconnect the power to the modem first, then the router. The two will go through some LEDs blinking, etc. The two are "shaking hands" with each other. After about a minute, restart the computer and see if your LAN icon in the Windows 7 System Tray (lower right-hand corner) is connected to the router.

Is your ACER connected to the router by an ethernet cable or is it wireless? Do have both a LAN network connection and a wireless connection on the ACER?

It is preferable for the main computer to be directly connected to the router via the LAN ethernet connection. This is necessary to properly configure the router and do any router firmware updates.

Then try the router's address in the browser's address bar and see what happens, be sure to use the address and such as recommended in the router's user guide.

Last edited:

Ask a Question