SOLVED Network adapter broken after update

Reaction score
Hi all -
I have an Acer M5811 running Win 7 home premium 64 bit and have a couple of problems.

1. After an automatic update when I shut the computer down last night, the network adapter driver now says it is broken and I have no connection to our wired network. I tried to connect wirelessly to see if that would work and still no joy. Called the MS (non) helpline who were worse than useless and mostly unintelligible due to being in the darkest depths of Mumbai or somewhere like that. Considering that it seems to be their update that caused the problem I expected a little more help to be honest. I ended up throwing the phone down, I waqs getting so frustrated with getting nowhere and struggling to understand them anyway.
Next call was to PC World Tech Guys (we had the 'whatever happens' cover when we bought the computer). He went through a few things on the phone (most of which I had already tried even though I'm not exactly a computer genius - just simple things like doing a restore, which I had tried with 3 different restore points) but nothing has worked. He then said that the only thing I could do would be to carry out a backup then take it to the nearest PC World store for them to do a recovery on it. WTF am I paying these idiots for? I thought they were supposed to fix things, not obliterate them!

Which brings me to problem number 2 - the backup is not working and from what I can glean on the internet this is a problem with Win7, but having tried to follow instructions from a user on here and getting nowhere, I wonder if anyone else has an answer to this?

Ideally I would like to be able to fix the network adapter rather than wipe the whole thing and reset to factory, then fix the backup issue.
As an interim measure I have made a copy of my files using the Windows easy transfer process.

Any suggestions, anyone? I'm stuck.

Reaction score
I did download the lan driver from there yesterday but that didn't seem to make any difference, but I'll try the other two that you suggested.

Having said that, I really don't know what I'm doing, so I think I need step by step instructions that your average primate could understand :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, this is interesting.... had a call back from one of the more knowledgeable chaps at Tech Guys this afternoon, and he started going through the same things as the others had. Went into device manager and opened network adapter, which said it was working normally, then voila, it connected to the internet. I have no idea how I did it, or even if it was anything I did, but thanks bassfisher for the suggestions, because I did download the other two drivers you mentioned on to a USB stick and plugged that into the machine, so I don't know if that was the reason or not, but I'm just glad it's working again (fingers tightly crossed!!) so, for now, I'm going to have to say 'problem solved'.

Ask a Question