need walktrough.(Buying laptop and W7)

Reaction score
Hi, just noticed this place and I figured it would be excellent for answering my current questions...

I'm buying an Asus X61SL-6X151C on a Swedish Website( I live in Sweden) http://www.computercity.se/Products/Product.aspx?id=2743014

In my opinion it's a great computer for a low price.

However, this Asus has Windows Vista Home Premium already installed and I'm planning on buying a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade in the same run.
Then in another forum, I recieved the question "32 bit or 64 bit?"
And one problem is, I have no idea how to know if I'm buying 64 bit OS or what it even is.
And if I'm gonna upgrade the Vista on that computer right away, do I need to download specific updates in order for the W7 to work?
And yes, it is my first time buying an actual computer, so it's alot of questions for me at the moment.

So, if theres anyone kind enough to help me out, I'd be really grateful.

Reaction score
Hello RallyGunde - Welcome to w7forums

The link you provided states the version of windows that comes with the laptop.
Microsoft Vista Home Premium (32-bitars)
If you purchase Windows 7 OEM make sure its a 32-Bit version otherwise you will not be able to do the upgrade. It is required to do a clean install when changing from a 32-Bit OS to 64-Bit OS. Downloading specific drivers should only be needed when doing a clean install. After installing Windows 7 Upgrade there maybe Driver updates available.

P.S.
I forgot to mention the the Retail Boxes comes with both Windows 7 32-Bit and Windows 7 64-Bit DVD's

Last edited:
Reaction score
So basically, I need to buy a real Windows 7 Home Premium and not just an upgrade, in order to get 64?
But how big is the difference between 64 and 32? Just the optimized RAM?

and uh, do I need Vista SP 2 or something for the W7 upgrade?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can buy the upgrade and upgrade from Vista but you must have the same Bit version to upgrade. It's the OEM version that doesn't come with both 32-Bit and 64-Bit DVD's

Reaction score
Alright, cause there ain't no free upgrade on that site,(hard to understand swedish i guess :p).
So 32 isnt that shitty I take it.

Reaction score
No the 32-Bit is not that bad. However I did notice that laptop comes with 4GB memory. Windows 7 32-Bit will not allocate all of the memory.You will only be able to use around 3GB of the memory unless you do install the 64-Bit version.

Reaction score
Which means that I have to erase the Vista and then install the W7?
In that case it get's more expensive, because I can't use the Windows 7 upgrade, and got to buy the whole thing, right?

Reaction score
Which means that I have to erase the Vista and then install the W7?
In that case it get's more expensive, because I can't use the Windows 7 upgrade, and got to buy the whole thing, right?
I think you are missing the point behind the upgrade disk. The upgrade disk is for someone who has a previous version of windows. The upgrade disk will allow you to upgrade or clean install if you have a previous version of Windows. If you don't have a previous version of Windows then you will have to buy the full version.

There are three different versions of Windows Upgrade each one comes in 32-Bit and 64-Bit.
Only the retail box comes with both 32-Bit and 64Bit.
The OEM's are sent either 32-Bit or 64-Bit

There are 9 upgrade options to purchase
  • Windows 7 Premium
    • 32-Bit & 64-Bit Retail
    • 32-Bit OEM
    • 64-Bit OEM
  • Windows 7 Professional
    • 32-Bit & 64-Bit Retail
    • 32-Bit OEM
    • 64-Bit OEM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • 32-Bit & 64-Bit Retail
    • 32-Bit OEM
    • 64-Bit OEM

Reaction score
It's a little hard for me to translate Computer terms unfortunately.
I don't know what you mean when you said upgrade or clean install, but damn, it's cool that you are putting some effort in helping me this far.

Reaction score
OK
Upgrade means you are installing over the top of your old Operating System leaving all the applications and drivers in place so you won't need to reinstall anything hopefully if things go well.

Clean install means you are just that. All drivers will need to be set back up. All your software will need to be installed again.

Reaction score
Ok... so Clean Install means that I upgrade Vista to Windows 7, however it works like a full "computer reset"?
Or haven't I got a clue..?
And I can't get 64 by doing either of those things?

Reaction score
Ok... so Clean Install means that I upgrade Vista to Windows 7, however it works like a full "computer reset"?
Correct with the exception that the full install doesn't ask for a previous Operating system. The upgrade will ask if it doesnt see one already installed.

And I can't get 64 by doing either of those things?
Yes you can get the 64-Bit but it will require a clean install when upgrading from a 32-Bit Operating System.

Reaction score
The upgrade disk is for people who already have Windows XP or Windows Vista. You are basically getting a discount for being a repeat customer. It has no bearing on how you can actually install the operating system.

Reaction score
So, with this new laptop I'm buying I could buy the Upgrade and do the Clean install and upgrade to 64 as I won't have anything in it except the things on from the beginning?

Reaction score
Correct. However the only thing that will be installed is Windows 7 itself. Usually any new computer comes with trial software, utility software, etc. None of that will be installed after a clean install to 64 bit.

Reaction score
But do I need to setup the computer and have it up and running and then put in the disc and like what? choose clean install?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
But do I need to setup the computer and have it up and running and then put in the disc and like what? choose clean install?
Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive first. Put in the disc and reboot. You should see a prompt to "Press Any Key To Boot From Disc". Do that and the Windows 7 OS will begin it's initial phase of installation. Then it will let you choose to do an "Upgrade" or "Custom Installation" (also known as a Clean Install). Choose the custom installation and proceed to the next step.

You can then choose to delete existing partitions, re-configure partitions, re-format, etc.

I have always chosen to delete the existing partitions, then make new partitions (usually about 40-64GB for the OS) and another partition for misc. files and a small one for the paging file. Then install the OS to the first partition and let Windows do its thing.

For a good step-by-step guide on a Windows 7 "Clean Install" go HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I have already read the guide, and this is becoming more and more clear to me.
I'll be removing the partition containing the old OS right?
And then just do as the setup says?
Won't the computer automatically ask to boot from the disc when I have it in?
Or do I need to setup this before, as you said.
Well I know some people that are quite handy with BIOS etc but uh..

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I could be that the computer is already configured to boot from the CD/DVD drive, it may be a question to ask the place you are buying the computer from. If the boot from CD/DVD is "turned off" it can be turned on in the bios OR there is usually a way to show and pick from any drives in the computer. In my setup. I can press the F8 key and get a list of my drives (hard drives and CD/DVD drives). I can then select my CD/DVD drive and voila, I am booting from it without mucking in the BIOS.

Ask a Question