need walktrough.(Buying laptop and W7)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, I have already read the guide, and this is becoming more and more clear to me.
I'll be removing the partition containing the old OS right?
And then just do as the setup says?
Won't the computer automatically ask to boot from the disc when I have it in?
Or do I need to setup this before, as you said.
Well I know some people that are quite handy with BIOS etc but uh..
I'll try to answer the question in the order you've asked them.

1. Yes,setup will take you to the screen titled: Where do you want to install Windows? Under the "Drive Options - Advanced" section you can remove all partitions, which will remove the old OS. You can also re-size the partitions and create new partitions. The little window that gives you the MB sizing is a little confusing. If you want a new partition size of 64 GB then you have to input 65536 MB (which is 64,000 Mb x 1.024) Don't try to understand it right now just do it.

2. Basically, Yes. You'll go through a few screens before you reach the section I dealt with in Question 1 above.

3. Yes! IF, the operating system is still on the hard drive and your BIOS is set to boot first from the DVD drive. You will see a prompt on a black screen: Press any key to boot from DVD or CD. You'll have about 5 seconds to decide. PRESS any key you'll go to the Windows 7 install.

4. It's not necessary, you can do it all from the install disc and the options it presents you with.

5. It's not a matter of being "handy" with the BIOS, it's just a matter of understanding what the BIOS does and how to adjust the settings. For now all you need to know is which key to press on boot-up to find out what the boot drive sequence is. Since you have a laptop, when it first boots you should a screen giving you an option to press a certain key to reach the boot order screen.

I'll try to give you more info as I find it out regarding your model of laptop.

Ask a Question