Need 32bit COMMAND PROMPT without admin rights

Reaction score
DOSBOX or other virtualization software will not be allowed on my computer.

An old DOS based program (16 bit) that my whole workcenter uses is not working under 64 bit Win7. It use to run in DOS, Win XP (ALL versions). I have tried the compatibility mode test on both the exe and the command prompt with no success. Even by taking the program off our NETWORK and placing on the local desktop, even by taking command out of the SYSTEM 32 folder and copying to the desktop.

Win 7 64 bit will not run the APP and I do not have sysadmin rights nor will sysadmin provide support to install DOSBOX or similar software.

is there a command line interface where I can tell a command.exe to open in 32 bit mode and then run the dos program in 32 bit mode... I have even tried browsing to the SYSTEM32 folder and running cmd.exe from there... right clicking on changing the compatibility settings... still nothing

Reaction score
You cannot use a 16 bit program with Windows 7 64 bit in any way shape or form. The lowest it can run is 32 bit. Windows can automatically bump some installers to 32 bit and you'll see no issue. If the program itself is 16 bit I don't know of a work around besides installing windows xp mode and running it inside of the emulated environment.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no "real" DOS environment any more. cmd.exe is merely an emulator that simulates old DOS commands. ScottReese is correct, you will either use a virtual environment on your 64-bit OS or you won't run 16-bit programs; your choice.

Reaction score
You could run Win 98 or XP in virtual machine like vmplayer and your 16 bit DOS program will run in it. I am sure your 64 bit machines are powerful enough to do the job.

Reaction score
You must use a virtual environment on your 64-bit OS, then it would be possible to run a 16-bit App.

Reaction score
There is no "real" DOS environment any more. cmd.exe is merely an emulator that simulates old DOS commands. ScottReese is correct, you will either use a virtual environment on your 64-bit OS or you won't run 16-bit programs; your choice.
Are you trying to imply that there is a role reversal from Win 98 days? Gui running on top of DOS on the case of 98 and npw DOS running on top of GUI ? There is a whole lot one can do in the command prompt window. I am pretty sure it is NOT passing on those commands to the GUI - OS. netsh for network or diskpart for hard disk configuration are just a couple of examples.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not implying it; I said it outright. cmd.exe is a program that interprets your DOS command lines and the Windows OS no longer runs "on top of it".

More info available at Computer Hope
and Microsoft Answers

Ask a Question