What do I need to do to upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to Win 7 pro 64bit

Reaction score
I upgraded from Win XP to Win7 Pro, but used the 32bit disk. What do I need to do to upgrade using the 64bit version of Win7 pro, (both 32bit and 64bit upgrade disks were sent in my upgrade purchase). Works great but want to try the 64bit version.
Do I need to reinstall WinXP to do a clean install, or can I just use the upgrade version 64 of Win7 without the XP?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Whatever you choice of options, you cannot "upgrade" from 32Bit to 64Bit. You will need to do a clean install.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
You can just do the 64 bit install right over your 32 bit. Yes you'll have to reinstall any programs but you do not need to re-install XP ... just do a clean install and it should be fine.

Before you do make the transition, it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have all the proper drivers / programs that will work in a 64 bit environment. Check out your Motherboard/Video Card manufacturer websites for 64 bit driver, if you have a printer or scanner, check out their websites...being prepaired will make the transition easier.

Reaction score
OK that is what I suspected. Do I need to reinstall WinXP and then upgrade with the 64 or is there another way rather than reinstalling XP??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Gues you missed my post....no XP reinstall needed, just do another clean install, W7 64bit over top of W7 32bit

Reaction score
I am getting a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Pro as part of a free dell windows 7 upgrade for a machine I just bought. Does anyone know if there's a 64 bit version on the disc as well, or are the two versions on separate discs? I plan on asking Dell this question as well and will let folks know the answer when I hear back (assuming no one on this forum actually knows).

Reaction score
Hi charlesdeb - Welcome to w7forums

Does anyone know if there's a 64 bit version on the disc as well, or are the two versions on separate discs?
Unless Dell packages both versions on the same disk. You will only get one version. Microsoft packages both versions on separate disk.

I'm not positive but I would think a manufacturer would only ship the OEM version of Upgrade Disk which will either come in 32-Bit or 64-Bit depending on which version of Vista you have. The retail will have both disk. The OEM will have one or the other but not both.

And for the record, You can not upgrade from a 32-Bit operating system to a 64-Bit operating system without doing a Clean Install.

Reaction score
I purchased Win7 pre-sale and used the RC version for a few months prior to win7 going public. When I received it I received two disks, one with the32 bit and one with the 64 bit. I installed the 32 bit, and as you see by my earlier question, (which was answered) was, can I upgrade to 64 bit from my 32 bit.

Ask a Question