My HP G72 computer is one week old....with problems!

Reaction score
Help! I bought this computer at Staples and have until Saturday to return it if I can't fix the problems....

It's a Windows 7 Home Premium edition.......

The screen will sometimes freeze just a few minutes into using it....very frustrating....

also, the D Recovery disk has 2.3 G of 13.9 G free and I've done hardly nonthing to the computer since buying it!

Can anyone help? Should I be heading back to Staples?

Thanks so much...

Kim

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The D recovery disk is probably storing the system image of your installed operating system. It isn't growing larger on you is it?

Since it's brand new and from HP it's probably loaded with a bunch of junk software which is clogging the system.

Download a free application called PC Decrapifier and run it. Then you can safely uninstall any useless software which you decide you don't need.

Also the antivirus program may be causing issues too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost forgot my manners too!

Welcome Kim Dennis to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru!
Do you think that this will solve the screen freezing too? I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a new computer at Staples this weekend.....it can't be a computer wide issue for this paticular model, could it?

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya, Nibs. When members post as frequently as we do, it's sometimes hard to remember the greetings part. Well, for me at times, heh heh...

Welcome!

Um ya, great advice. To supplement it, here is a tool to use in safe mode to remove the current antivirus. Definitely do this too.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

When done, boot to normal mode and install MSE to replace.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru!
Do you think that this will solve the screen freezing too? I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a new computer at Staples this weekend.....it can't be a computer wide issue for this paticular model, could it?

It very well may cure the screen freezing problem. Use the link TorrentG gave you to uninstall the AV software and use PC Decrapifier to get rid to the other junk.

Then install MSE or Microsoft Security Essentials and run ti.

Then run Disk Defragmenter to clean up things and consolidate the files on the hard drive and see if it runs better.

Also check to see if the video driver is up to date and what the power options settings are in Control Panel. You may have to tweak them.

If nothing works then you can always restore the laptop to "factory default" by using Recovery Mode from the D drive.

Reaction score
The OP says he has till Saturday to return the item. As we know fixes can sometimes be quick and other times drag out. Given his time contraints for making a return my suggestion is to take it back first and see what they say.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice, I am going to exchange the computer for another one first....if the problem persists, I can see that there are plenty of knowledgeable and willing helpers right here.....and I can't thank you enough for your help....

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
and I can't thank you enough for your help....
You're welcome! Come back and let us know how things turn out.

Ask a Question