McAfee Security Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, so thank all of you in advance for your expertise.

My wife's new Acer Laptop system is running just great but I'm concerned about it's Security. The OS is Windows 7, 3 GB of RAM, Spyware Doctor with A/V installed and running. Not sure yet if Windows Defender is running or if those updates are current - probably not. My security status is as follows:

The unit came with 30 day trial version of McAfee Security Suite already
installed and running. When I check into the status of Windows firewall,
the appl says the "firewall components are being managed by McAfee".
That is, I can't turn on or off Windows firewall because nothing is clickable in
the Windows Firewall appl that opens. Because there's almost 40 Windows
Updates (WU) awaiting my action, I feel I need to secure this unit system
right away and get the WU's installed. Nor do I know if McAfee would interfere with the installation of all those WU's.

I would prefer to use Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor
with A/V (and run SAS, CCleaner and MBAM as needed). Bought this new laptop yesterday so with my paid subscription of Spyware Doctor w/Av so I have what I believe is good protection, except that I don't know what's happening with my firewall because of McAfee. I believe I need to find a way to stop McAfee from controlling Win Firewall, or uninstall McAfee so that I can turn on Windows Firewall myself.
Can anyone advise as to the sensible way to get to where I want to be, or
perhaps there's some other suggestions about how I should set up the
security on this new computer.
Thanks much in advance................Paul C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Paul - Welcome to w7forums

I merged your threads, there is no need in having two of the same threads. :) I'm afraid I will be of no help to you, I'm not familiar with McAfee. Perhaps someone else will be of more help.

Good luck with your issue.

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, so thank all of you in advance for your expertise.

My wife's new Acer Laptop system is running just great but I'm concerned about it's Security. The OS is Windows 7, 3 GB of RAM, Spyware Doctor with A/V installed and running. Not sure yet if Windows Defender is running or if those updates are current - probably not. My security status is as follows:

The unit came with 30 day trial version of McAfee Security Suite already
installed and running. When I check into the status of Windows firewall,
the appl says the "firewall components are being managed by McAfee".
That is, I can't turn on or off Windows firewall because nothing is clickable in
the Windows Firewall appl that opens. Because there's almost 40 Windows
Updates (WU) awaiting my action, I feel I need to secure this unit system
right away and get the WU's installed. Nor do I know if McAfee would interfere with the installation of all those WU's.

I would prefer to use Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and Spyware Doctor
with A/V (and run SAS, CCleaner and MBAM as needed). Bought this new laptop yesterday so with my paid subscription of Spyware Doctor w/Av so I have what I believe is good protection, except that I don't know what's happening with my firewall because of McAfee. I believe I need to find a way to stop McAfee from controlling Win Firewall, or uninstall McAfee so that I can turn on Windows Firewall myself.
Can anyone advise as to the sensible way to get to where I want to be, or
perhaps there's some other suggestions about how I should set up the
security on this new computer.
Thanks much in advance................Paul C.
Hi Paul, I for one am not a fan of McAfee's anything! If I were in your shoes right now, I would disable McAfee's just long enough to download the necessary files for windows updates. Once those are finsihed and you have rebooted your computer I would then enable McAfee's again. You should be able to right click your mouse on the McAfee icon in the system tray bottom right and look for a disable button. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Reaction score
I've never used McAfee, but I don't know why you couldn't just open the application, and use the on-off settings to disable McAfee.

Aside from that, it sounds like you don't even want McAfee. If thats the case, why not just uninstall it? Disable it then uninstall it.

Reaction score
Hi Paul, I for one am not a fan of McAfee's anything! If I were in your shoes right now, I would disable McAfee's just long enough to download the necessary files for windows updates. Once those are finsihed and you have rebooted your computer I would then enable McAfee's again. You should be able to right click your mouse on the McAfee icon in the system tray bottom right and look for a disable button. Hope this helps, Good Luck.
HaveBlues2, thanks a lot for your reply. I've also heard lots of bad things about McAfee's products, one most recently where many many computers were BSOD'ed due to a McAfee error where an important system file was label a virus and it did lots of damage.

Do you have any idea if uninstalling McAfee would release it's control over my Windows firewall? If I knew that I'd be tempted to uninstall it, enable Windows Firewall, leave my Spyware doctor running and install the undates, then Windows Defender.

Regards. Say, does your `HaveBlues2' handle mean you're a blues musician?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Paul Calcagno, welcome to the forum! From what I gather, it sounds as though you don't need or want McAfee, period. Those AV's that come preinstalled on today's computers, if they were so good, then why would they have to give it away for two months or however long it is? This bundled software helps to lessen your cost for the computer, but what good is it, if you don't need or want it? None. There is a program, it's free, called Revo Uninstaller. You download it, install it, there's an Uninstall function that removes all traces of the unwanted program(s). After the uninstall is complete, you have four choices to remove all traces of the program. The fourth choice is the best. There's another free program called PC Decrapifier. You run it, it shows you a list of mostly "junk" programs, select the ones you want to get rid of, there gone. Back to Revo Uninstaller. After the program is initially removed, it will ask you to restart. Select "restart later", so that you can finishing your cleaning. Hope this helps, and should you require further assistance, feel free to post back anytime. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Paul Calcagno, welcome to the forum! From what I gather, it sounds as though you don't need or want McAfee, period. Those AV's that come preinstalled on today's computers, if they were so good, then why would they have to give it away for two months or however long it is? This bundled software helps to lessen your cost for the computer, but what good is it, if you don't need or want it? None. There is a program, it's free, called Revo Uninstaller. You download it, install it, there's an Uninstall function that removes all traces of the unwanted program(s). After the uninstall is complete, you have four choices to remove all traces of the program. The fourth choice is the best. There's another free program called PC Decrapifier. You run it, it shows you a list of mostly "junk" programs, select the ones you want to get rid of, there gone. Back to Revo Uninstaller. After the program is initially removed, it will ask you to restart. Select "restart later", so that you can finishing your cleaning. Hope this helps, and should you require further assistance, feel free to post back anytime. Good Luck.
Catilley1092, thanks for your great ideas. Turns out I already have Revo Uninstaller and I'll likely use it to get rid of McAfee.
Do you know if uninstalling or disabling McAfee will release it's control over my Windows Firewall settings. I really want that firewall enabled. If I knew that I'd uninstall McAfee in a heartbeat.
Thanks..........Paul C.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When I removed Norton, I had no problems with the firewall, or the OS would have notified me otherwise. Be sure to create a restore point prior to doing anything. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
When I removed Norton, I had no problems with the firewall, or the OS would have notified me otherwise. Be sure to create a restore point prior to doing anything. Hope this helps.
I've had many AV programs on this computer and none of they ever took over the status of Windows Firewall settings. Seems really odd or perhaps poorly designed

Great suggestion about creating a restore point before removing McAfee.

Thanks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Norton is known for this, and other problems too. That's why I removed Norton (with Revo Uninstaller) prior to using my computer the first time. McAfee tries to slide itself in when you're installing Flash, but I don't need it. I especially don't need it after what happened recently, many computers being crippled. McAfee's reputation has been damaged so badly, I don't know if they'll recover or not. One thing for sure, they won't by me.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
McAfee does not block the Windows Updates at all. You should be able to download the updates with no issues at all. It must be a version of McAfee Internet Security.

Their AV program alone does not take over Windows 7 firewall at all. AV programs that I know of never took over a firewall, it's the "internet security" versions which have an AV section, firewall section, anti-spyware section, malware section (some do, some don't), and an email spam section.

I have tested and used several internet security suites, nearly all of them will disable the windows firewall in lieu of their own and some give you the option, the IS firewalls are usually much better and alert than windows is. Don't worry so much, you're making a mountain out a mole hill.

Once you uninstall McAfee, Windows will default back to the Windows 7 firewall. I wouldn't trust it though. Get yourself a GOOD internet security suite such as G DATA, Avira, or ESET or whatever you decide is best for you.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good AV too, plus it's free. Comodo offers a free firewall which is damn good. You're running Spyware Doctor too, good progam though sometimes it will conflict with some other AV programs. I know it did when I had BitDefender.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've never had problems with the default Windows Firewall, on any Windows OS that I've had. I haven't messed with the settings on this one, but with XP Pro, I had no problem configuring the firewall. I remember checking "Don't allow exemptions", as to what comes through. I'm sure that the one with 7 is better. In fact, I've seen a lot of threads (on several forums over the years) where the user installed a firewall, then couldn't even use the internet. Had to revert back. I generally don't fix what isn't broken.

Reaction score
McAfee does not block the Windows Updates at all. You should be able to download the updates with no issues at all. It must be a version of McAfee Internet Security.

Their AV program alone does not take over Windows 7 firewall at all. AV programs that I know of never took over a firewall, it's the "internet security" versions which have an AV section, firewall section, anti-spyware section, malware section (some do, some don't), and an email spam section.

I have tested and used several internet security suites, nearly all of them will disable the windows firewall in lieu of their own and some give you the option, the IS firewalls are usually much better and alert than windows is. Don't worry so much, you're making a mountain out a mole hill.

Once you uninstall McAfee, Windows will default back to the Windows 7 firewall. I wouldn't trust it though. Get yourself a GOOD internet security suite such as G DATA, Avira, or ESET or whatever you decide is best for you.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good AV too, plus it's free. Comodo offers a free firewall which is damn good. You're running Spyware Doctor too, good progam though sometimes it will conflict with some other AV programs. I know it did when I had BitDefender.
Nibiru2012, thank you for clearing up that the McAfee `internet security' version that I have won't interfere with Updates and that uninstalling McAfee will allow Windows to revert back to it's firewall. Having only worked with Windows 7 for a few days, I was unaware of these things, thus the `mountain' was building up in my head.
I had Avira installed on both my Acer Desktop and my wife's older WinXP laptop and it would freeze up my computer when it tried to run a scan so I uninstalled it.
My goal is to uninstall McAfee when the 30 day trial expires.

Reaction score
HaveBlues2, thanks a lot for your reply. I've also heard lots of bad things about McAfee's products, one most recently where many many computers were BSOD'ed due to a McAfee error where an important system file was label a virus and it did lots of damage.

Do you have any idea if uninstalling McAfee would release it's control over my Windows firewall? If I knew that I'd be tempted to uninstall it, enable Windows Firewall, leave my Spyware doctor running and install the undates, then Windows Defender.

Regards. Say, does your `HaveBlues2' handle mean you're a blues musician?
Paul, if your not a fan of McAfee's software, then by all means uninstall it. There are several decent free AV programs on the net you can use. Sometimes when you uninstall a program it leaves traces of its programming in your registry, if you want it all gone then I suggest downloading and using an application called CCleaner and you can do a search to find that on the net. As to the name HaveBlues2 sadly it's just a name. I do love Electric Blues and many other Genres. Good Luck Paul! :)

Reaction score
Paul, if your not a fan of McAfee's software, then by all means uninstall it. There are several decent free AV programs on the net you can use. Sometimes when you uninstall a program it leaves traces of its programming in your registry, if you want it all gone then I suggest downloading and using an application called CCleaner and you can do a search to find that on the net. As to the name HaveBlues2 sadly it's just a name. I do love Electric Blues and many other Genres. Good Luck Paul! :)
HaveBlues2, thanks for your suggestions. I've got CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller and will use that to remove McAfee when it's trial period expires.
Regards.. Paul C.

Reaction score
Okay first of all, I hope this helps im going to tell you exactly everything u need to do, because I see you are struggling with some common misconceptions I hope to clear up for you.
So anyway there are a few tips to get you started out:

Let me start with the "taking over" of the Windows Firewall. The McAfee Security Software that comes with your computer included a 30 day trial for an Anti Virus program and a Firewall. While using the McAfee firewall you manage and configure all your firewall settings through the GUI provided by McAfee your system will be completely secure this way as long as you have your firewall configured correctly, the same goes for the Windows Firewall as well. Now the McAfee installed on your computer is indeed a trial and unless you decide to pay the subscription fee your computer will not remain protected with updates after the trial expires, so you may want to look into some free anti-virus software that does not require fees. Let’s say for example you decide you don't want to pay for McAfee, At this point you should uninstall the McAfee software by going to your "add or remove programs" and then removing all the McAfee software you can find. Once you remove the software you want to be sure not to navigate to questionable websites when in the process of Installing a new anti-virus program.
If you want a free Anti-virus program that is as good or better then commercial software like McAfee then download Microsoft Security Essentials from http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Remember this is a Microsoft product so it’s trustable, and it’s free ( there are fake antivirus programs out there so be carefull).
For your Firewall you can stick with Windows Firewall after you uninstall the McAfee software, or you can download free firewalls such as zone alarm.
If you want your computer to be secure you must do the following:
1. Download malwarebytes and scan your computer (remove any infections found)
2. Install ALL windows updates as soon as possible!!! I cannot stress enough that you are susceptible to all sorts of security risks when you don't update as soon they are available.
3. Make sure you have an antivirus program and its signatures are current. Remember once your McAfee trial is expired you will no longer receive updates for virus definitions. If you don't keep your anti-virus software updated you are asking for Malware infections.
4. Make sure your firewall is configured correctly if you have any questions about this or what I mean please message me.
5. Run a malware scanner such as malwarebytes every so often as 1 week to be safe choose the full scan option.
6. Have tuff passwords and make sure your computer does not have venerable services such as telnet running ( its disabled by default with windows 7 ). Passwords like <u76#Hio> are hard to remember but good to use. Change passwords as often as possible and do not use one password for too many things.
7. Whatever you do make sure you don't have more then one anti-virus software installed on your computer or they may conflict and create problems.
8. One way to really increase your risk of Malware is to run firefox +no script, by this I am also implying for you to use a browser besides explorer…
9. If you’re worried about your system getting hacked by someone on an external public network such as the internet, the best way to prevent this is by preventing malware infections. Your firewall hardly plays a role if you are a home user. This is because routers today hide your private network ( your home network ) behind one or more IP address and never reveals the actual IP address of your computer; this is known as Network Address Translation ( NAT ). In fact when using NAT your private network can use an IP addressing scheme different to the ones you would be able use on the internet. Say for example your home network uses a pool of address between 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.225, these address would not be routable on the internet but are perfectly fine on your private network because of NAT. When your computer needs access an external network such as the internet, then it can translate your home network IP address into an assigned Internet routable one, and the actual Address of your computer is never revealed to the world. That makes it impossible for someone to directly connect to your system via the internet. However when we talk about software, if you get infected with a rootkit... then your pretty much screwed and your computer itself may try to connect to the hackers system, he only has to get you to run infected software. In short preventing infections from malware and rootkits will keep your computer safe from hackers. This makes me urge you to ignore your firewall a little and worry about keeping your computer clean from malware. HOWEVER you must have a firewall installed to prevent programs that escape anti-virus software and try to send information, establish connections, and open ports without your knowledge.

One last thing you may want to do is back up your data, if you back up your files then if you do become infected with malware at least its not a total loss and you can merely reinstall your operating system and get up and running as quick as possible. Good Luck

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Comodo Internet Security is available as a free version and works quite well.

It has both the firewall and AV plus antispam, etc.

Comodo Internet Security

Complete protection against viruses and Internet attacks for Windows computers

Features:

• All-in-one Firewall & Antivirus
  • Defends your PC from Internet attacks
  • Detects and eliminates viruses
  • Prevents malware from being installed
  • Easy to install, configure and use
  • Free to both business and home users
Price: 100% Free
Free Download

Why Use Comodo Internet Security?
Comodo Internet Security is the free, multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out and personal information in.

Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Internet Security offers 360° protection by combining powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, and an advanced host intrusion prevention system called Defense+.

Unlike the stripped down versions of commercial software that other software vendors offer for free, this is the full, completely functional version of the product.

Alternatively, users can upgrade to Internet Security Pro for just $49 per year and receive two additional services—LivePCSupport (Total Security & Support Package)—a 24 hour per day, unlimited incident support services package which usually markets for $99 per year and TrustConnect - a secure Internet proxy service that ensures 128 bit encrypted connectivity from any public wireless hot-spot.

Internet Security Includes:

• Firewall: Slam the door shut on hackers and identity thieves.
  • Antivirus: Track down and destroy any existing malware hiding in a PC.
  • Defense+: Protects critical system files and blocks malware before it installs.
  • Memory Firewall: Cutting-edge protection against sophisticated buffer overflow attacks.
  • Anti-Malware Kills malicious processes before they can do harm.
System Requirements: Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 128 MB RAM / 210 MB hard disk space

Free Download

Release Details:
Release Date: April 12, 2010
Update: Please see latest release notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question