Constant Shortcut-Making by McAfee?

Reaction score
Ok, like every day my McAfee makes a shortcut on the desktop...

Makes a shortcut...I see it and recycle/delete it...the next day...it re-creates it...

Why the hell? Can't it just get the hint that I don't want anything on my desktop lol.

Help. :(

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use McAfee, not the greatest security tool out there. There's better free alternatives like Microsoft Security Essentials. In this case I'd even recommend AVG over McAfee, and I absolutely despise AVG (It's also not very good and has quite a bad reputation as well on lots of security forums)

Reaction score
...my McAfee is paid though...so I'd imagine that it's more reliable than any "free" software out there (otherwise I don't see what incentive people will have to buy anything when it comes to computer security...).

Anyway sorry if this is a silly question...but after running ICONDisplayTool.cmd...do I press 1 then Enter, followed by 2 then Enter, or do I just do the first part (which is press 1 then Enter)?

Reason I ask is...that entire tutorial was a solution to disable the desktop icon, but, it is saying that to disable it, take the first action and if you want to enable it, do the second one instead (not saying it says this but I'm guessing that's what it implies)? Wouldn't it then just call it the solution to disable/re-enable the desktop icon and not just disabling it? Insignificant but kind of threw me off...

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
When the command prompt menu opens, select the required option:

• To disable the desk top icon select 1 and press ENTER

Reaction score
I get that, just it'd make sense if the second bullet wasn't there or better yet call it the solution to disable or re-enable the icon...anyway thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
...my McAfee is paid though...so I'd imagine that it's more reliable than any "free" software out there (otherwise I don't see what incentive people will have to buy anything when it comes to computer security...).
Both of those statements are somewhat disingenuous to say the least! Generally speaking 'most' free AV software is not as complete feature-wise as a paid program, but there are a couple that do an extremely good job, such as Avast! AV software. However, McAfee is NOTORIOUS for being a complete waste of hard drive space.

I have done many computer software repairs and the two programs that cause the most grief for the end-user are Norton and McAfee!

Why is it that nearly every commercial computer sold by retailers have either Norton or McAfee installed on them as a 'Trial Basis"? Because they're so bug-ridden that the truly knowledgeable user won't purchase their software and so these two companies pay the computer companies a fee to install them on those systems. Then the buyer is forced to either accept that junk and pay for it after the trial period is over or pay someone like me to remove it.

Reaction score
I have done many computer software repairs and the two programs that cause the most grief for the end-user are Norton and McAfee!
You can say that again. I have experienced the same problems with both of those programs.

Reaction score
Well, one of currently the two most popular, most bought and positively-reviewed AV's on Amazon is Norton. The other is Kaspersky! Which I'm looking forward to replacing my McAfee with (which I admit, is bloatware to a degree and not to mention the constant shortcut-making solution by McAfee THEMSELVES does NOT work. Screw this.). I've tried Kaspersky out on a relative's almost-identical system to mine, and man, it was awesome. With Russia, you get power. :p

One thing lolworthy though is the praising of Avast. Like almost all free AV's it sucks unless you're not into downloading different sorts of media. "Torrenting" also falls in that category. Not as bad as AVG from personal experience, but both have failed to catch viruses before on my XP system. They were also up-to-date at the time, and I remember someone making a thread about it on some site - I forget its name and I haven't gone to it since like 2009 I think, and some expert member telling him whether it's Avast, AVG free or Symantec free trial, you get what you pay for. They're not as built and providing as much security as one would have with a paid AV, just generally speaking. I think currently the most reliable free AV is MSE though, but I could be wrong. It just always seemed promising to me and I've never had problems with it, when I used it.

So, I may try this method to remove the desktop shortcuts again. Doubt it'll change jack though.

Last edited:

Ask a Question