McAfee's big blunder

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
From CNET
The reputation of software security vendors like McAfee hinges on their ability to keep customers out of harm's way. It therefore doesn't sit well when the protector becomes responsible for a major systems meltdown.

Last Wednesday morning, McAfee pushed what would turn out to be a buggy update to its antivirus software. The problem was a whopper, one that caused widespread crashes for home and business users running Windows XP with Service Pack 3. Not good. In addition to issuing an official apology, McAfee has promised to reimburse the users affected by the faulty software release.
If your running McAfee (even if you did not crash) check your system.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That major update that failed with disasterous results will most likely be the downfall of McAfee. They weren't that popular to begin with, if they were, they wouldn't have to resort to trying to slide in when installing Adobe Flash player on Firefox. There's a pre-checked box that you have to uncheck, otherwise you have the crap on your computer. Veedaz is right, you should check your system. And if you see McAfee on your list of installed programs, promptly remove it, before you have more problems. There are many other quality AV's (free & paid) that are better, and safer to use.

Reaction score
When setting up a new machine for clients the first order of business is to uninstall McAfee.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
When setting up a new machine for clients the first order of business is to uninstall McAfee.
When setting up a new machine for clients the first thing to do is to do a clean install. At least, I don't want any of that "Asus Empowering Techonologie" junk!

Ah well... I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus. It's small, light, simple powerful and um... Expensive...

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
When setting up a new machine for clients the first thing to do is to do a clean install. At least, I don't want any of that "Asus Empowering Techonologie" junk!

Ah well... I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus. It's small, light, simple powerful and um... Expensive...

Cheers,
Fire Cat
I used to use ESET Internet Security but their firewall was a mess and I could never get printer sharing to work without major surgery. I switched to Norton IS 2010 and never looked back.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to use ESET Internet Security but their firewall was a mess and I could never get printer sharing to work without major surgery. I switched to Norton IS 2010 and never looked back.
Yes... That's also why I stay away from things like Internet security, or Home Protection or whatever...
I've never needed any thing else than a Antivirus. No need for additional firewalls, and other junk. Doesn't slow down my computer at all and I never notice it except when a red ballon appears on my screen telling me some idiot is trying to spy on me.

Also, I have to say, I hate softwares who try to get everywhere, eg: McAfee and Norton. McAfee comes with computers, and i found a that little checkbox saying "Install Norton Antivirus" in a download link.

Reaction score
You're probably right about the firewall. When my subscription lapses in about 6 months I'll probably be looking for the next generation of an AV. I've been installing Security Essentials on client computers so maybe that's a possibility.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I purchased G DATA Internet Security the other day for $29.95 for a one year license. The BEST price I found for an all-in-one suite so far, plus it receives great reviews.

It's the top-rated AV according to A-V Comparatives.org, which is an independent testing lab for the majority of the AV applications available.

Runs in the background, quiet and non-obtrusive. I used ESET for several months and liked it. So far, G DATA is better! It even scans every download for possible infections.

Ask a Question