McAfee doesnt like Windows 7 64bit

Reaction score
Ok so I have attempted to install Comcast's version of McAfee on my 64 bit version of Windows 7, only to find that whevener i click on the "install" button the program stops responding and the window goes away. I tried compatibility mode... still no luck. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-WindowsGeek

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It this a specially branded version of McAfee? If so it may take longer for proper Windows 7 support.

You can always try some of the McAfee betas and see if you have more sucess with those : http://beta.mcafee.com

Or, you can try another AV solution (plenty of free W7 Anti Virus apps now :)).

Reaction score
You can skip Comcast's installation of McAfee, mostly because it's a terrible program.

I highly suggest you download Avast!, Avira or AVG. Not only are they free, they offer significantly superior virus protection, and they're compatible with Windows 7.

It's a win/win/win suggestion for oyu.

Reaction score
Thanks, by the way i tried AVG, and it bsod'd me several times, so i just gave up on it. i'll go for Avast! next

Reaction score
Avira is a good one to go for, very light compared to some of the others. McAfee is as bad as a virus! ;)

Reaction score
im using nod 4 x64 (smart security), and is working fine, the pack includes, firewall, anti spam-spyware and antivirus

regards

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, I recommend you go for Avira. Definitely very light. Except for the fact that you can't seem to keep it from popping up with a window when it thinks there's a virus! :lol: But it's no big deal.

PS: Don't you mean Commiecast?

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly it. What do you use, Clif?

Reaction score
I am one of the brave ones like Thrax - I use my on instinct

I have crashed Internet Explorer many times on purpose when I get messages from certain site saying I might be infected with only the option to continue. I'm not falling for the hey click my button so I can infect you. I have fallen for the derectx plugin scam twice but never again. If I get a message telling me I need a plugin I will look for my own links not the one they conveniently provide.

Maybe after I upgrade again and don't notice a big performance difference I will try running a anti-virus software again. I do have "a-squared Anti-Virus" loaded but I'm only using it as a scanner its not scanning fulltime.

Reaction score
Cliff is perceptive.

Yes, I do not use antivirus. I haven't in a very long time, and I never will again, for several reasons:

• My resources are mine. I don't want an AV app slowing my PC down.
  • I'm vastly more clever than any gimmick a malware author would use to trick me.
  • The odds of someone targeting me specifically with a payload is so low as to defy calculation.
  • I do not use a desktop email client, so viruses cannot even be delivered as an attachment.
  • I don't open attachments unless they're from someone I've known for years, or a format that cannot contain a virus.
  • I have a very secure router with an inbound firewall that precludes drive-by attacks.
  • My Windows installations are meticulously taken care of.
  • I am good at Google and can spot a bogus site in seconds.
  • I know exactly who/what/when/where/how to use P2P. I do not get bum files. Period.
  • There is no such thing as effective malware protection.
  • There is no such thing as an antivirus that's more than 55% effective.

I could go on and on all day.

I test my abilities against a batch of virus scanners once a month to be sure that my confidence isn't getting ahead of me, but my PC has been completely clean for 10+ years.

All user diligence aside, the odds that you'll be protected by your AV install is equal to the odds of your AV install failing to catch an infection. Why bother?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Well Thrax, you've successfully converted me. I'm gonna keep Avira until I go 64-Bit. Then it's goodbye to AV!!!

Reaction score
mcafee on 64 bit windows 7

Ok so I have attempted to install Comcast's version of McAfee on my 64 bit version of Windows 7, only to find that whevener i click on the "install" button the program stops responding and the window goes away. I tried compatibility mode... still no luck. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-WindowsGeek

I get McAfee subscription for free, but McAfee Help apologise and tell me they do not yet have the 64 bit version and to come back in a month

In the meantime I use free Avast and it serves very well

Ask a Question