McAfee AV Security Update Cause Major Disruption To Windows XP

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
An update from the anti-virus software company McAfee has caused thousands of enterprise desktops, running Microsoft's Windows XP operating system, to crash or reboot repeatedly after administrators installed the update.

According to a statement released by the company, the McAfee virus definition, DAT 5958, which was dished out for the customers of VirusScan Enterprise, wrongly identified a critical Window file as a virus and quarantined it.

This lead to the machines being automatically shut down and when restarted, they were not able to load Windows and kept on rebooting in some cases in a continuous loop.

This buggy virus update has caused a lot of inconvenience for thousands of VirusScan enterprise users who are now not able to work on their systems.
Expressing regret for the havoc caused by the update, McAfee said in a statement that “McAfee teams are working with the highest priority to support impacted customers and plan to provide an update virus definition file shortly. McAfee apologizes for any inconvenience to our customers.”

Link

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This was a huge mistake - this cause repeated bluescreens for users and botched up some massive networks. Although XP is pretty old, it is still widely used.

I feel sorry for any sys admin that had manage a large network that was affected by this! :eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't accept McAfee, that was going to be included with an Adobe program, if I checked the box for it. I have enough AV's and malware scanners on hand, I don't need one to cripple my system. I still have an XP Pro install, it may have affected me, had I accepted the offer.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ian - It looks like there's a double-post. I posted the same news, only from a different source.

My Bad! Core's post was before mine. Maybe you want to merge the two.

Nibiru2012

Ask a Question