Laptop Keyboard is not working properly

Reaction score
My keyboard is not working properly though even after reformating the hdd. Got any ideas for me? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is your keyboard USB or PS2 ?

Have you tried the keyboard on another machine to verify it is not broken?

Have you tried another keyboard on this machine to see if it might be your connection?

Did the keyboard work prior to reformatting the HD?

What is the make/model of the keyboard?

Reaction score
Is your keyboard USB or PS2 ?

Have you tried the keyboard on another machine to verify it is not broken?

Have you tried another keyboard on this machine to see if it might be your connection?

Did the keyboard work prior to reformatting the HD?

What is the make/model of the keyboard?
Its the keypad on my laptop not my keyboard, my bad sorry.

This is the model and my laptop specifications.

Asus F83VR 14 inch display
Windows 7 x64 OEM from ASUStek.
Hardware is 1 year old.
OS installation - last reformatted 1 day ago.
CPU - C2D p8800 2.66ghz
VGA - Nivdia Geforce GT 220M
Motherboard - Asustek
PowerSupply - AC bat wt adaptor 230 v (Asia)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, please define "not working properly". For the touchpad to work you need the driver for that ... See ASUS touchpad section. There is also an ATK Hotkey Utility list under the ATK section which if you are used to using those keys you would need this installed.

What exactly isn't working properly? Do the letters/numbers work?

Reaction score
OK, please define "not working properly". For the touchpad to work you need the driver for that ... See ASUS touchpad section. There is also an ATK Hotkey Utility list under the ATK section which if you are used to using those keys you would need this installed.

What exactly isn't working properly? Do the letters/numbers work?
About half the keypad is not working/responding at all, letters and numbers included. Another half from the responding keys is not imputting the right character: Example - when I press the Q Key, W instead comes out, or * character comes out when I press L key.

Noted on the ATK Hotkey Utility List installion properly working, I think that might be the problem as I uninstalled several asus programs a while ago but I didnt't uninstall the ATK ones. I will double check once when I reach home.

Last time I checked the device mananger (yesterday) , all the devices are working.

From the asus webpage link under download section (ATK) , all 5 drivers are needed?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well actually I doubt they are all drivers. The hotkey utility, for example, is likely just a memory resident program watching for certain keystroke combinations.

If your keyboard is really messing up that badly it could be software but even worse it could be hardware; did you drop it or spill liquid on it that may have damaged it? Do you have a USB keyboard that you could plug in and see if that works?

Is this a fresh install or did this just suddenly start messing up (you mentioned reformatting the HD, has this been happening ever since)? If it is a fresh install then personally I would probably format and try a complete reinstall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well actually I doubt they are all drivers. The hotkey utility, for example, is likely just a memory resident program watching for certain keystroke combinations.

If your keyboard is really messing up that badly it could be software but even worse it could be hardware; did you drop it or spill liquid on it that may have damaged it? Do you have a USB keyboard that you could plug in and see if that works?

Is this a fresh install or did this just suddenly start messing up (you mentioned reformatting the HD, has this been happening ever since)? If it is a fresh install then personally I would probably format and try a complete reinstall.
Thanks for moving my thread to the proper place.

Nop I did not spill anything ever on my keyboard ever.

It happened quite a while ago, everything was fine with my laptop before the incident than one day my keyboard decided to misbehave and stayed that way since.

I did I complete reformat/installation of windows 7 still no use. USB keyboards work well I have been using that since the malfunction.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK so everything was working fine and then it wasn't and a reinstall did not change anything. I suspect hardware failure. :(

Laptop keyboards can normally be replaced but unless you know exactly how to take it apart (where all the little tabs are, where to squeeze and where to pop etc you can do more damage. Not cheap to repair and a qualified tech is best. Or use the USB keyboard.

Others may have additional thoughts but that's mine for what it's worth.

Reaction score
It might be the hardware failure, or not.

In my Control Panel list of programs, there are 4 ATKs installed

So I went to the link http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/F83Vf/#download under Downloads / ATK and found that don't have the last driver so I downloaded this - driver ATKACPI Driver for Win7 64 bit.

Downloaded it and unrared and got 5 files:
2KSETUP.INI type - configuration settings
ATK64AMD.sys type - system file
atk0100.cat type - security catalog
ATK0100.INF type - setup information
PNPINST64.exe type - application

Double clicked the executable file and installed it, a restart is prompted for so I restarted.

However, when I open my Control Panel list of programs there is no such file, any help?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What I could find in search for ATK0100 says it is a WinXP driver so it likely wasn't usable by your system.

Did you see the one under OTHER? The Keyboard Device Filter Utility? They don't give descriptions but the title sounds like it's worth a try.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sounds to me that your keyboard has gone south on you, that is, it's kaput and you need to replace it. The key sensors in the membrane below the keys can go bad and not function properly.

You can pick up a new replacement keypad from Asus or eBay for not much money at all, perhaps around $70-80 US dollars. Plus replacing it is really not that difficult as there are tech repair manuals you can download from the Asus website to help you out.

Reaction score
this happened to me
i have to than change my whole keypad
is your keyboard the chicklet one

Ask a Question