Laptop is struggling

Reaction score
Have a work Dell Latitude 7480
I7-6600u
2.60 ghz
8 GB of RAM.
Internet/data hard wired (not sure if Cat 6) and via our phones as well.

Not sure if I am right or not, but I think 16GB RAM would be best.
Heres the sitch - we each in our office (about 40 people) at any given time running at least 3 internet based applications.
Plus, Outlook and Skype.
On top of that, most of us store our files (word, excel, pdf docs) on 1 or 2 shared drives. Every so often will put something on the desktop or hard drive. So - when I open a word or excel document “the wheel” spins a good 15/20 seconds then opens. Its certainly not instant like my home PC.

Naturally, not much I can do about our data connection and have no idea what kind of server equipment we use, but will doubling the RAM help?

Thx.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think doubling the RAM will make any difference. I suspect it could be a network issue - if you've got a low powered NAS/server that handles everything, that may be where the bottleneck is (if it only applies to shared drives/network/internet).

Can you see if the same thing happens when the office is quiet and the network/server is under less pressure?

Reaction score
Supposedly the company updated the server system 2 weeks ago. I did not see any change. Unfortunately I am not here when system under less pressure.

Ask a Question