SOLVED Laptop Installation

Reaction score
I have a laptop with Vista already installed upon it. I would like to install Windows 7, not upgrade, and I would like to know what differences I may encounter between installing on a laptop compared to installing on a desktop. For instance, with a desktop there is no partition for a backup of the OS unlike my laptop. I downloaded the Windows 7 advisor and it shows no issues other than with some of the Toshiba laptop programs already installed. If I do install Windows 7, do I have to wipe the drive clean first? and does the new OS automatically install the backup partition? Not that I need it as I tend to use Acronis True Image as my only backup.

I would be grateful for all advice given

Reaction score
First off the differences i think your talking about would depend on system specs, to run win7 you need at least 2GB Ram to start.

your best bet is to do a clean install of windows 7, and yes it automatically makes a partition 'backup' you should delete your OS drive via install of windows 7

for a more detailed look into installing windows 7 see link;

https://www.w7forums.com/install-windows-7-a-t7099.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the very fast response. I am very grateful to both of you. I have bookmarked the links you gave me and will study them later when I have more time on my hands. I'm glad I asked first though because my laptop only has 1 GB of memory.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows 7 32Bit will run on 1gb of ram. 64bit will need 2 for minimum performance. But ram being so cheap, it is a good idea to install more.
It does not, to my knowledge, automatically create a backup partition. It will, quite soon after installation, create a backup file in a folder which, by default, it calls "recovery" -Perhaps that is what you are meaning? If you install, without removing the Vista installation first, it will save the whole thing in a folder called win.old. This can be used as a reminder of anything you had previously, needed, but overlooked. Up to a certain extent, some of this can be transferred to your new OS. (Private files..etc..) But, if you browse this site, or google, it does seem that installing over a previous (Vista) installation, can cause instability. I have not personally experienced it.
There is a comprehensive install tutorial on this site, if you feel the need.

https://www.w7forums.com/install-tutorial-windows-7-a-t7070.html

Reaction score
Thanks, I was not thinking of installing the 64bit but I do think the extra GB of memory might help the laptop run a little faster. Nor am I thinking of keeping the Vista installation. The laptop did not come with an installation disc and I prefer doing a clean install when things go horribly wrong. I will look up the comprehensive install tutorial on this site that you mentioned but I do not imagine too many problems because I have been installing XP on my desktop years without any problems. I have just never installed an OS on a laptop before. Thanks again

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. I have just purchased 2 GB of memory and Windows 7. Can't wait to install it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. I have just purchased 2 GB of memory and Windows 7. Can't wait to install it.
Good deal! You'll find that the extra 2GB of RAM will definitely help out. It will make your Windows 7 installation run much smoother too.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Reaction score
Obviously I will let you all know how things work out, but just as obviously I will not be able to let you know if Windows 7 runs more smoothly with the 2GB of RAM. After all, I have never experienced running 7 on 1GB and I expect 7 will run smoother than Vista anyway.

Reaction score
I used to have only 1GB on my spec machine. I do everything you can with a pc...latest games, heavy 1080p and other video encoding/production, DVD Authoring, audio tracking and production, crash dump analysis, adventurous networking lol...whatever.

Honestly, I technically know it is better now with 2 GB but as for the feel and usage of the pc, there is no obvious difference at all.

I also have a 2001 P4 machine with 768 MB RDRAM....it could use more memory, sure, but it runs excellent on 7 for what it is. The machine is perfect for my family and what they do...web browsing, e-mail, YouTube videos and the like.

Both 32 bit.

And I also have a newer Acer Aspire netbook which runs very well with 1 GB RAM and does everything (besides latest games of course, due to Intel video, but it does play HD content.)

Last edited:

Ask a Question