I've encountered a malware, unfortunately.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I didn't expect there to be a PINF, it is just the only thing I found in searching the web that was at all related to a virus and "double click". There are numerous posts where people "thought" they had a virus but it turned out to be the mouse or the software/settings. If your videos showed a message or ads that popped up then it would point more towards a virus, but the videos don't and at least 3 different A/V scans have said the same thing. The fact that you can disable the center mouse button and then things are "fine" also suggests it is the mouse or the mouse software. And since a new mouse doesn't help that really only leaves software.

In that second video that we can now watch, was the middle mouse click still enabled in settings ? If so I never saw you try that simple fix in that video.

If it was the driver then yes it would probably happen all the time, but for all the extra buttons there is actually running software/services running and it could have a memory leak which builds up over time or even more likely, it could be some sort of conflict with other programs that you happened to open after you had been running a while.

I suggest you disable the center mouse all the time for maybe 12 hours and just see if you still have any problems at all. Also, do you have any chrome add-ons like zoom mouse? From the videos it would appear chrome is open most of the time the issue occurs. Or did you run VLC or Windows Media Player? Because they often affect my mouse software and I have to restart it.

The most current software appears to be March 2012 but there are several versions of the X7 so I may not have looked at the right one. Still, even if that is the version you have, I would uninstall it and reinstall. When things are desperate enough you try everything you can and hope something works out.

Reaction score
As previously said, the "virus" shows up when the computer boots up. My startup programs are only the drivers, other than that I start manually afterwards, so we're excluding the case where it could be from a program that has been started with time.

Will disable the middle click now and see how it is when I boot it up tomorrow, will also try to remote my pc using my phone while the mouse is unplugged, wont use chrome tomorrow, will operate with Opera.

No VLC or WMP.

Still curiosity about why is it for about an hour and then it's gone, and I was running perfectly fine windwos 8 for about 2? years, then something SNAPPED. After the rollback to 7 it was fine for a couple of a days and then again it showed up. Will look more in-detail. Will re-install W7 again if needed and install a program a day.

Thanks for the tips, cheers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you still had Win 8, I would suggest backing out any recent programs/add-ons/toolbars/etc, because I do believe it is some interaction between your mouse software and other software that may try to redefine mouse functionality. But since all your software was installed on this W7 build in the same day, I really don't know what software to suggest. Especially since you have so much software I've never even heard of before.

I do think it is software, you pretty much ruled out hardware. I just don't believe it is "malware" with the specific purpose of hurting your computer; more likely a bad interaction between two or more pieces of software that "mean well" but don't work and play well together.

Please disable the center mouse and see if it has any effect on tomorrows start-up.

Reaction score
I haven't slept the PC overnight, let it running. No problems at all now. I'm going out for a few hours, will sleep it now and see what happens when I get back.

Reaction score
It seems more a hardware problem than malware to me .. Have you tried plugging your mouse into a different USB port ? or tried a different mouse in a different port ?. Another longshot is to try a different keyboard...
A weak or sticky key on the keyboard could cause erratic actions involving the mouse or programs ...There could be a software conflict if you have gotten recent updates to one or more programs. If all else fails and you have an install disk for Windows 7, you could remove your hard drive , install a new one and load a fresh copy of W 7 on it. See if it acts up with the new install of W7 while you are getting all the updates to it. If it acts up then , you know without doubt it is hardware related.. Either a heat problem affecting one of the built in chips on the motherboard or possibly a USB port problem...Are you plugging into a USB port that is part of the motherboard back panel , or one that is led out from a header plug ?..If from a header plug , it may be loose or not making good contact from dust in the plug. If all is well with the new W 7 install, you can then load in your programs one at a time and update... That is the only way I know of to positively identify the source of the problem... All your files will still be available on your old drive so you can transfer them over from it to your new install by using a USB adapter, or by installing the drive as a secondary.

Reaction score
It seems more a hardware problem than malware to me .. Have you tried plugging your mouse into a different USB port ? or tried a different mouse in a different port ?. Another longshot is to try a different keyboard...
A weak or sticky key on the keyboard could cause erratic actions involving the mouse or programs ...There could be a software conflict if you have gotten recent updates to one or more programs. If all else fails and you have an install disk for Windows 7, you could remove your hard drive , install a new one and load a fresh copy of W 7 on it. See if it acts up with the new install of W7 while you are getting all the updates to it. If it acts up then , you know without doubt it is hardware related.. Either a heat problem affecting one of the built in chips on the motherboard or possibly a USB port problem...Are you plugging into a USB port that is part of the motherboard back panel , or one that is led out from a header plug ?..If from a header plug , it may be loose or not making good contact from dust in the plug. If all is well with the new W 7 install, you can then load in your programs one at a time and update... That is the only way I know of to positively identify the source of the problem... All your files will still be available on your old drive so you can transfer them over from it to your new install by using a USB adapter, or by installing the drive as a secondary.
Hey there.
There are answers for most of your questions in my previous posts or in the videos.
I have tried plugging it in another port, I have tried plugging another mouse in the same and in another port. Keyboard is working fine, it's mechanical, no sticky keys. I haven't connected the front ports. Too lazy to bother.

I currently do not have a hard drive available for formatting, but as I said, it is a fresh install of W7, rolled back from W8. The issue on W8 showed up on the last week of its use.

No heat problems, CPU is currently at 30C, GPU is at 35~ish, HDD is at 27 and MB at 25.

I really think it's software, as it does the same thing every time I boot the machine up, then it's gone after some time. If it was hardware or something loose somewhere it would randomly do it.

An example: When I drag my mouse to my taskbar(auto-hide) it should pop out, but it doesn't. That's where it locks my computer. I cannot right-click on my desktop, if I gain focus over some window using alt+tab and then I click on it I lose focus of it, being inaccessible from the mouse, while the mouse is working just fine. I have a laptop next to me and I tried plugging it there immediately when the problem occurs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave that was my first hunch too but Etherea tried a different mouse and tried plugging the mouse and keyboard in different slots.

So Etherea, what's the restart status, did the computer lock up on start up even when the double click was disabled?

Reaction score
Dave that was my first hunch too but Etherea tried a different mouse and tried plugging the mouse and keyboard in different slots.

So Etherea, what's the restart status, did the computer lock up on start up even when the double click was disabled?
I'm yet to shut it off, work's too much...scared too. Lol. But things are fine, no problems at all, all working as it is supposed to.
Will see tomorrow when I boot it up.

Reaction score
Problem persists today as well. Booted the computer with the middle button disabled, no effect.

Unplugged both the keyboard and the mice, and remotely accessed the computer through my phone, the effect was as if I were using the mouse, aka, the problem still exists.

It is NOT a hardware problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think we need to look at your start-up programs. And using a little trial and error, figure out which program causes it to lock up. Could you post screenshots of your start-up programs? You can do this with MSCONFIG but the window is tiny and that makes it hard to space the columns so we can see all the information. Personally I like the Tools > Startup > Windows section of CCleaner.

Reaction score

Tiny window isn't a problem. :p I keep my start-up programs strict, or else it clogs.

Note: I added Unified Remote 2 days ago.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I didn't mean the number of items, I meant the width of the Command columns. I normally search by the program executable but Command is not wide enough above that I can see that. But I was able to search by the startup item and they seem distinctive enough that I only find one piece of software so it's fine.

Almost any one of those in the list except IDT PC Audio could have some effect on your mouse and your start-up problems. My best guesses are Rainmeter or Unified Remote Server or Faststone Capture as a good place to start. I suggest you disable them and see if your computer then boots and functions without issues. If it no longer has issues then enable Faststone Capture and try again, etc.

Basically disable as much as possible and see if the problem goes away, then slowly turn things back on one item at a time, testing to see if the problem returns. When it does you will know which piece of software is a problem that needs updated or replaced.

Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with the software I use and I can assure you that neither on the list affects my mouse.

After all, been using dropbox and FSCapture for about 4 years, and as I said Unified remote got installed recently when I tested the phone remote control.

Dropbox is a could, FSCapture prints screenshots withing prtscr key being pressed, Rainmeter is just a fancy open-source software, currently displaying a fancy clock and performance meter.

With all due respect, it's not like I have this software from a week ago. :p

Still, as a respect to your opinion I will disable all the start-up software and see what happens tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure it's neither of it because it's not glitching just when it starts but for about an hour, whilst the software is running, and is still running when the OS is no-longer glitching.
I had this software on W8, no issues with it in the past.

Note that: It glitches when the computer is being booted after being either powered off or slept for 6+ hours. If I were to reboot it, sleep or completely turn off and on again it would be just fine.

Regards.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you're sure it isn't the startup programs, the other thing we could look at is your services. In MSCONFIG, services tab, could you Hide "Microsoft Services" and then screen print what is left? But since it is a fresh install the services should be fresh as well.

Reaction score
EasyAntiCheat is from Team Fortress2(a game) I just installed the other day, the same day for TuneUp utilities.

Tried disabling all startup programs, effect was as expected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you have EasyAntiCheat installed on the Win 8 machine too? If so, that is one more thing you might try disabling.

Reaction score
...it is disabled. Service is set to run manually, it starts when the game is opened(Team Fortress 2).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes I saw it said "Disabled". All I can say is that service and the other 6 start-up items likely contain the cause if it is a software problem. I would suggest using MSCONFIG to prevent them from running and see if the start-up issues continue.

If the Start-up problem goes away then enable them one at a time, reboot, and see if the issue returns and then the last one to start will be the likely cause.

Reaction score
Disabled the following:
EasyAntiCheat
Google Update (both)
MBAMScheduler/Service
Nvidia Network/Streamer/Stereoscopic 3D
TuneUp Utilities

No point in disabling the display and audio driver, is it? Will see tomorrow what happens when I boot it. As previously said, it needs to be off at least 5-6 hours to glitch. If I were to reboot it right now it would be just fine.

Ask a Question