CCleaner

Reaction score
CCleaner Home
CCleaner
  • Features - CCleaner is our system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!
  • Cleans the following:
    • Internet Explorer - Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
    • Firefox - Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.
    • Google Chrome
    • Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.
    • Opera - Temporary files, history, cookies.
    • Safari - Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.
    • Windows - Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
    • Registry Cleaner - Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
    • Third-party applications - Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...
    • 100% Spyware FREE - This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.
CCleaner Home

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I highly recommend this product. I use it myself and I set it up on all the computers I support.

The first tab is the Hard Drive Cleaner section and is designed to free up disk space.

CLEANER NOTE: There are several items in the System and Advanced sections and even in the browsers that I personally want my system to remember; for example in the Advanced items, deleting Prefetch data can actually slow your computer down until it rebuilds this info. Here is a list of my selections but you should make educated decisions that work best for you:
CCleaner-settings.jpg

The second tab is the Registry Cleaner option. It will ask you if you want to create a back-up of the entries before they are deleted. It is ALWAYS a safe option to back them up (use a folder you will remember). Then in the very unusual chance that something would no longer work after your next reboot you can go to this back-up file and run it and all the entries will be reinserted into your registry. Then reboot and your registry will be back to the point before you ran CCleaner.

Please note that in order to keep CCleaner free they sometimes offer a toolbar or some other thing you may want to uncheck on install.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CCleaner's registry cleaner is the only one that I trust. It is the least invasive registry cleaner on the market. Plus, using the prechecked options, you can rid your system of useless files that is hard to find manually. On my mom in law's desktop, it found & deleted over 2,300MB of junk files that accumulated over the years. That's a ton of junk. Plus, the registry cleaner had to be run four times to get everything. The first sweep found over a thousand entries. But it got the job done.

Plus, it has an uninstaller, a program to disable unneeded startup entries, and you can see your restore points. All are safe to use. I use the cleaner on a daily basis.

As with any program, always create a restore point (within Windows) before cleaning anything or uninstalling a program. A recent backup is good to have, too.

Cat

Reaction score
I definitely love this program, Even on some of the slowest machines I can increase it's performance by at least 40%.

Also love Defraggler.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MyISWeb, welcome to the forum! Glad that you like CCleaner, it's one of the best (if not the best) free apps of it's kind. Finds junk that you'd never find.

Defraggler was a staple app for me for over two years. But now, I have Perfect Disk 11 Pro, a paid defragger & optimizer program.

But if you want a better one than Defraggler, that also has an optimizer with it, that's also free, Auslogics Disk Defragger is the best of the free ones that I've used. Still run it on my notebook, it defrags then optimizes your disk(s), you can schedule runs, too.

It can be found at:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

Hope that you find it useful.

Cat

Last edited:

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A new Version 3.01.1327 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released. This update has a range of improvements including improved cleaning for a range of applications such as Firefox 4.0 Beta, Adobe Reader 9 and 10, and 7-zip, as well as bug fixes.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My goodness. I do not have automatic update notification selected, but I really thought I had the latest. (v2.35.1223)
They are really moving along with the times now. Certainly in strong competition with firefox for updates1. lol.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A new Version 3.02.1343 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released. This version improves IE history cleaning for Windows 7, adds cleaning for CloneCD, Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 and ExamDiff, and has other improvements and bug fixes

Reaction score
Vouch for this software. I use it at work to speed up PCs (Australian Government). 9/10 it works. Registry fixer is the best of all.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One thing about CCleaner is you need to uncheck the option to only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours to get a thorough clean. Also, if not careful, it will install a unwanted toolbar during the installation.

Other than that, highly recommended.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks Digs... good tips on CCleaner. I don't appreciate the fact that it wants to install a Google Toolbar and Google Chrome browser also, so everyone should slowly click and disable the install of those two nasty items.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The slim version, (no tool-bars) usually comes out a few days later if you don't mind waiting.
Yoda, if you install Slim then does it look for strictly slim when it checks for updates? Otherwise each update you would again need to uncheck the toolbar or wait and manually download slim when it comes out.

Me, I've gotten pretty used to unchecking the dang toolbars in stuff.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yoda, if you install Slim then does it look for strictly slim when it checks for updates?
That is correct. The slim version only applies to that download. If you use CCleaner to check for updates, it will select the full download which includes the toolbar.

Note that I don't mind how CCleaner attempts to install the toolbar. It readily gives you the opportunity to opt out. I would much rather put up with that than having to pay for it. Considering it is excellent at what it does, and that I consider it a necessity, clicking a couple opt-out buttons is a small price to pay for such a fine program.

The developers have families to support and need to keep roofs over their heads. They deserve to make a decent living doing what they do.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What Digerati said.

If you are aware enough to want to use the slim version, then you are aware enough not to install tool-bars from the standard version imho.

The offer for tool-bars is up front and not shoved up your ar.. by Piriform

Reaction score
I use this on a very regular basis on a number of pc's and am very pleased with it. However, I don't understand why there are so many updates to it, especially as I rarely notice any difference afterwards.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
However, I don't understand why there are so many updates to it, especially as I rarely notice any difference afterwards.
That's probably because you probably are not adding new programs all the time or making significant changes to your system, other than running updates. Since CCleaner does so much more than purge common temp file locations of Temporary Internet Files, I, frankly, am glad they put a great deal of effort into making sure it is current.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And note you also are given the option to review the release notes immediately after each update is installed.

Reaction score
That's probably because you probably are not adding new programs all the time or making significant changes to your system, other than running updates. Since CCleaner does so much more than purge common temp file locations of Temporary Internet Files, I, frankly, am glad they put a great deal of effort into making sure it is current.
I didn't mean it as a criticism, more an observation. Other than AV, most software doesn't have so many updates (in my experience). Incidentally I am making changes to my system all the time and do try many different programs, it is one of the reasons why I find CCleaner so useful.

Ask a Question