Please help, I've lost the ability to log in.

Reaction score
Hi all. Ok..I've always set up my computer to log in automatically and have had no problems until I turned puter on this AM. It now asks for a password and when I type in the correct password it sends me back to the logon screen wanting a password. I know the pass is correct but it just won't accept it and get me to my desktop.

I can start in safe mode without it asking me for a password so I was able to scan for viruses, use startup repair and use the sfc/scannow command. I also had 4 system restore points but none of them worked (said registry error in restore points)

I'm at a loss and need my computer for work..thank you so much for your time and any advice.

Reaction score
You can try turning off using password and reboot and see if you have access to system.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have access from Safe Mode you might be able to run lusrmgr.msc, then open users, right-click and choose Set password. Remember, passwords are case sensitive so capitalization is important.

If that doesn't work you might be able to use Windows Password Remover

Last edited:
Reaction score
Google for password removal boot media. You will boot from the cd/usb and reset / remove the file that holds password details. You should then be able to boot normally and set it as you like.

Ask a Question