Is Windows 7 Going to be the last OS

Reaction score
I have been reading on a lot of sites that Windows 7 is going to Microsoft's last "Big OS". They said that microsoft is from now on only going to make little incomental changes.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is an interesting post. There was, a little while ago, from a "Al Gillen", his own speculation on the matter. It was based on the fact that google were threatening competition with their "cloud" computing.
I hav.t read of any confirmation from other sources, other than comments on the original article. Anything, I guess, is possible, but it is fact that Microsoft are already doing some work on an alleged Windows 8.

Do you have any interesting site links you can post?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll never believe that Windows 7 will be Microsoft's last OS. They have no serious competition, having over 90% of the market share. Who can stop them? Linux? Don't make me laugh. Apple? Mainly a fashion statement, the majority of users can't afford a Mac. Google? I doubt it. Microsoft will move forward every 3 to 4 years with a new OS, they have a lifespan for every OS that is released, including Windows 7.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Agreed. They would seem to be cutting their own (financial) throats by quitting the scene - particularly with (ahem) Linux breathing down their necks.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think Microsoft will be around for some time yet, its going to be interesting to see what will come over the next 5, 10, 15 years ....... Skynet ! :D

Reaction score
Yes I think Microsoft has a big market share out there and microsoft has learnt from it's mistakes in the past. I was going to look into Ubuntu if Windows 7 was like Vista. But Microsoft has kept me from turning away, buy makeing a good OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, M$ is working on Windows 8 even as we discuss Windows 7.

In fact, Windows 7 was able to tally up more sales in the first 8 hours of pre-order availability than Vista was able to collect altogether.

To date, since it's release, "Windows 7 is by far the fastest selling Operating System in history." according to the Marketing Director at M$.

"Cloud computing" is a joke so far. It may have it's uses for the uber-geeks, but for the vast majority of users it won't have any appeal. Besides I stay away from anything that has GOOGLE aligned with it in any way, shape or form. They collect WAY TOO much info on users for my comfort.

I use Ixquick as my search engine, as it is the most private search available and does not collect info on the users.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Windows isn't going to change drastically. As Nibiru said Microsoft has already begun initial development on Windows 8 and it isn't going to deviate hugely, although one exec did state it would be 64bit only.

Most of the speculation that I've seen (and you might be referring to) has been involving the OS evolving into some form of cloud computing... but that's a bit to early to happen anytime soon. Microsoft already has a "platform" they just launched for cloud computing, and it's called Windows Azure. :)

Reaction score
I'll never believe that Windows 7 will be Microsoft's last OS. They have no serious competition, having over 90% of the market share. Who can stop them? Linux? Don't make me laugh. Apple? Mainly a fashion statement, the majority of users can't afford a Mac. Google? I doubt it. Microsoft will move forward every 3 to 4 years with a new OS, they have a lifespan for every OS that is released, including Windows 7.
Was discussing similar today at work...
and we came to the conclusion next windows should be modular
in that you download the kernal and support files for FREE... so you can still use your PC and old software. the new options are then bought as add-ons such as Servers, Networking, Touch screen graphics etc. etc...
I wonder how many home users rushed out and got Ultimate version of W7 and just use 10% of the OS when all they do is surf the web and watch videos/mp3's ?

Or maybe release a Home version as Freeware and Charge for Complete Office Network setups.

Linux could have been serious competition, but they got it totally wrong being that there are so many different versions - none are user friendly and all have a steep learning curve if you have no/basic computer experience (most office/home users)
Not idiot proof even for experts when it does go wrong.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Linux had it's shot and blew it. Sure, who wouldn't want a free OS with no EULA's attached, make copies and pass them along. In theory, it sounds perfect. But along with the very steep learning curve, there's dozens of "distro's", as they are called. Had just two or three developers done it, and done to where it was usable out of the box, it may have had a chance. Now it's just a circus, and it was noted recently that Linus Torvalds gave Windows 7 the thumbs up. Some thought he was being sarcastic, but I think he knows what a circus that was made out of what he once helped build. So he may be acknowledging the truth, that Microsoft's the #1 computing company in the world. And always will be.

Reaction score
So what' going to happen to people with 32bit computers if Windows 8 is only going to be 64bit It's not likely there's many but there's going to be some.

I realy can't imagine Windows 8 will sucessfuly run on any thing older than Pentium 4 and 1 GB ram. Is it because of windows 9 and 10 planning for 128bit OS's.:burnout:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
There are hardly any 32bit computers sold today... except for some Intel Atoms, Intel and AMD no longer manufacture 32bit only processors. I don't really see it being a problem for anything other than netbooks, which probably should stick with Windows 7 or XP anyway.

Anyone using a Pentium 4 or other older, slower CPU than a Pentium 4 shouldn't be upgrading to Windows 8 anyway, they would be much better upgrading the system they were using. :) The cost of the OS upgrade would be more than the computer itself would be worth.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So what' going to happen to people with 32bit computers if Windows 8 is only going to be 64bit It's not likely there's many but there's going to be some.

I realy can't imagine Windows 8 will sucessfuly run on any thing older than Pentium 4 and 1 GB ram. Is it because of windows 9 and 10 planning for 128bit OS's.:burnout:
Most likely by then, most of the 32 bit systems will have bit the dust. That's not saying there will be none still running, but Windows 7 will be last of Microsoft's OS's that will run on them. I'm in that situation myself with my laptops (a 8 year old C640 & 5 year old D610 Latitude), both running Windows 7 fine. There both riding their last days out in style. But back to the point, by the time Windows 8 is released, all systems that's built to run Windows will be 64 bit, possibly even a couple of 128 bit options. When Windows 9 is released, there will most likely be more choices, 64 & 128 bit options. As long as it's taking to get away from 32 bit now, it will be hard to say at this time when 128 bit will completely take off. That may be the same as the bit deal we're in now. The final 32 bit with 64 bit dominating. But for any of this to happen, the software developers must be more committed than today. We don't even have an Adobe reader in Windows 64 bit yet, although (sic) Linux does. For the very young users on this forum, there is a 64 bit XP Pro. How long ago was that? That's what the sticking point will be, will (or can) the developers be prepared? I have my doubts.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, M$ is working on Windows 8 even as we discuss Windows 7.

In fact, Windows 7 was able to tally up more sales in the first 8 hours of pre-order availability than Vista was able to collect altogether.

To date, since it's release, "Windows 7 is by far the fastest selling Operating System in history." according to the Marketing Director at M$.

"Cloud computing" is a joke so far. It may have it's uses for the uber-geeks, but for the vast majority of users it won't have any appeal. Besides I stay away from anything that has GOOGLE aligned with it in any way, shape or form. They collect WAY TOO much info on users for my comfort.

I use Ixquick as my search engine, as it is the most private search available and does not collect info on the users.
Thanks for the info, I like that lxquick search engine. You can check mark "show the https" sites for better security. And I don't like looking up my screen name on GOOGLE and finding tons of my forum posts. Although you can find a lot of useful info on Google, I'd probably be banned from the forum if I posted my feelings (in it's uncensored entirety) about the abuse of my privacy.

Reaction score
It is my opinion, and nothing more, that Microsoft will never stop with Windows. It's their bread and butter, what founded the company. I just can't foresee them doing away with a product that makes them millions. It would be like Nike saying " We are done with this shoe garbage, are socks line is where are future is".

As for Linux, I can agree it is a bit of a "circus". There are so many different distributions that it is hard to find one that will suit you and your needs without spending weeks trying out a few. And for some, it does work "right out of the box". It is my opinion, as a user of Linux, the main thing holding them back is support for hardware companies, and the gaming industry.

As for Google, I'm not so sure I buy this cloud computing yet. I have yet to see something that makes me think this will be the path I take and the OS I will use in the future. I'm just not impressed.

Reaction score
Hello guys.. I hope windows don't go anywhere. I always liked free software from Microsoft including windows 7 and all other programs running on windows 7. By the way i a new to this forum and I really liked the neat and clean interface of this forum.

Reaction score
Hi xrdguy - Welcome to w7forums

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Simply start a new thread in the apropriate section. If anyone can help, I'm sure they will respond. As always, Its a pleasure to see new members. :)

Reaction score
Linux had it's shot and blew it. Sure, who wouldn't want a free OS with no EULA's attached, make copies and pass them along. In theory, it sounds perfect. But along with the very steep learning curve, there's dozens of "distro's", as they are called. Had just two or three developers done it, and done to where it was usable out of the box, it may have had a chance. Now it's just a circus, and it was noted recently that Linus Torvalds gave Windows 7 the thumbs up. Some thought he was being sarcastic, but I think he knows what a circus that was made out of what he once helped build. So he may be acknowledging the truth, that Microsoft's the #1 computing company in the world. And always will be.
I don't think Linux ever intended to be a direct competitor and when I was following the Linux forums I don't think genuine Linux users were wanting or expecting it to be used that way. It seemed that the only ones wanting Linux to be more like Brand 'M' or Brand 'A' were users of those brands anyway.
The beauty of many developers is how it has the opportunity to take things along a different path without the constraints of business necessity.
Totally disagree about a 'steep learning curve', from never having tried anything Linux before I had Mint 6 installed and running productively faster then I got XP installed and I've been a long term Windows user. Mint never crashes and unless things have changed recently is essentially virus proof.
As soon as you log on in Mint it will automatically check for relevant updates for itself and you only install what you want and you can search it's extensive packages list for other stuff.
Now I should add that all that is on the basis that your a home user that just browses the web, does emails stuff like that. You don't get as much eye candy but then you don't need to spend $$$ on hardware powerful enough to run the OS. The beauty of Linux is how it works very well on low spec machines.
If you want to find some hardware drivers Linux (last time looked) falls a bit short in that area but HP give support for Linux.

I keep a Linux machine as a backup.

Mychael

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mint 8 64 bit is a fine Linux OS, perhaps one of the best of the lot. You're right, it shows at startup if there's updates that you need. And best of all, you need no AV or malware scanner, if you don't want it. I do have Clam AV installed, but only run it once a month. It loads web pages faster than any OS that I've used. It's actually the 4th most OS used worldwide. The only thing that's holding it back is the lack of OEM support, but really, you don't need it. It found one driver for my display that even Windows didn't find. Mint has a nice, beautifully clear screen. But even with all of it's positives, no one is going to knock Windows out of first place, unless they do it to themselves. Gaming is popular, and Windows beats everyone else by a large margin. Microsoft Office documents make Open Office's look like they were printed on paper towels. Windows Virtual PC is far better than the VM in Mint's package manager (Sun's Virtual Box, the publisher of Open Office). Yes I agree that Mint is a fine OS, and so is Ubuntu. But the facts are plain and simple, Windows 7 will not be the last of Microsoft's releases. There's soon to be released Office and Server apps. Probably within the next year and a half, the beta of the next Windows will be released. There's talk about Google being serious competition to Windows. That's all that it will amount to, is talk. They may have a good market in small netbooks and handheld devices, but that will be it. Windows is on a roll, and there's no stopping them.

Reaction score
What is good for Windows users is how a lot of industry uses it at the office level.Due to my employer being exclusively MS is that we got heavily discounted down loadable upgrades for the lastest office package. I agree it looks great.Also seems to load at an acceptable speed as well.
The thing is in my humble opinion is that your average home user barely scrapes the surface of the abilities of even the more basic of programs. I'm still today finding tricks in XP that I did not know existed simply because I'd had no need for them.
Open Office is very plain by comparison but what do you really need just to write a letter.? All modern programs have so many available features in them you really need to do a course to get their full benefit, then you'd need to be using them every day to keep up your skills.

Ask a Question