Going completely crazy over frozen Windows 7

Reaction score
My windows 7 freezes anywhere from 30 minutes after booting up to just being frozen on boot-up. My wacom stylus/tablet freezes and so does my keyboard. Thus far I've tried four different drivers for the wacom tablet and have tried two wacam tablets--one that states it's compatible with Windows 7. This is Windows 7 64 bit premium home edition that came with the e-machine computer. Are there any defaults I should check? Should I provide any other info, i.e., hardware?

I am using the same wacom tablet right now with my laptop (Windows XP). Never had a problem booting up in three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Sometimes your system might lack sufficient hard disk space which then results in frequent system freezes. In most of such cases, cookies, temp files and folders occupy a lot of the memory space on your system. In such cases, you must use Disk Cleanup to delete such unwanted files and data from your system and free up the disk space. This will not just remove unwanted information from your hard disk, but will also allow you to compress your Recycle Bin and old files.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It can be a lot of things. Obviously, the OP has an adequate amount of RAM (4GB), the dual core CPU is better than the one on my desktop, there's no HDD specs to confirm free space. If it's too low, that can cause problems, a certain amount space is needed for defrag. Speaking of defragging, that's a critical maintenance item that needs to be done, once a week at the most, for best drive performance.

Some AV/IS apps causes this, especially a boot up, when a lot of them updates & does a short system scan. Especially when there's 2 or more active products. Still, it's a good idea to scan regularly, there may be a virus or malware/spyware on the system, this can cause a multitude of problems.

And finally, as michelsmith suggests, the drive may be cluttered up with trash, it doesn't take long to do so. Use the built in drive cleaner for good results, or CCleaner for even better.

Improper or outdated hardware drivers causes these problems too, as well as BSOD's, which the OP hasn't mentioned, but they both can happen in this case. It's important to have the most up to date drivers possible, in most cases. Note that I stated most, as a recent video card driver knocked out folding on my notebook.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
With 750GBs, I doubt you are low on disk space, uinless you are heavy with downloading movies.etc. It does look, at firsthand, to be a driver problem.

Have a look at Stefan Scherer's posts here, particularly the second one. he seems to have found a driver problem and solution.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/cabc605a-e0ae-469c-bac9-3aa7be1dbc02

Fwiw.
The previous quote comes from old xp technology. The feature was removed from Vista/Windows 7 during Beta testing.
The Compress Old Files option made running Disk Cleanup so slow it was no longer useful. It also caused problems with the new junction files and brought on instability in the OS.
However, Disk cleanup, as it exists in Windows 7, is still a useful program.

Ask a Question