Windows defender going ON and OFF

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a problem with my Defender. Few days ago I uninstalled free AVG and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Uninstallation of AVG was OK, and I proceeded with installation of MSE. After installation was completed, I started Defender (before was OFF because of AVG), downloaded updates for both programs, and all was OK. Next day I noticed that Microsoft Security Essentials are working fine, but Defender was OFF. I tried to restart it manually, but it keeps going ON and OFF, ON and OFF all the time (ON for few seconds, than OFF for few seconds). I don’t know what the reason is for that. I think that MSE and Defender can work together, correct me if I’m wrong. Previous installation of AVG switched Defender OFF and I can understand that. But what is happening now? I was looking in the Windows log files to find what program is switching of Defender, but I couldn’t find anything. BTW, after distillation of AVG, I deleted registry entries of AVG (I think all of them).
Can be that some traces of AVG keep switching my Defender off??? Or there is some other reason.
Any suggestions??
Thanks’ in advance!!

Reaction score
:confused:Is it possible that those two programs can't work together? one is Anti virus other is anti spyware. They should work together, I think!!!:confused:

Reaction score
Hi seas - Welcome to w7forums

When you install MSE, MSE will replace and disable Windows Defender. Disabling Windows Defender is what MSE is designed to do.

Reaction score
Thank you for your fast answer!!

So what is the point of Defender (anti spyware). That's mean that I have to instal another spyware along with (in my case) useless defender. why I cant use MSE (antivirus) along with Defender (anti spyware). any other antivirus software will disable Defender. And you can't run computer without Antivirus software! So, What's the point?!?!?!

Did Microsoft expect us to run our computers only with anti spyware programs, without virus protection? Can somebody explain to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must not have caught that I said MSE was meant to replace Defender because it is a much better program for protecting you. Windows Defender is a very basic protection and should only be used when you use nothing else. Oh and you can run a computer without an Anti-Virus application. I did so for several years, and there are others that don't use an Active Anti-Virus Scanner.

Reaction score
Thank you for your fast answer!!

So what is the point of Defender (anti spyware). That's mean that I have to instal another spyware along with (in my case) useless defender. why I cant use MSE (antivirus) along with Defender (antispyware). any other antivirus software will disable Defender. And you can't run computer without Antivirus software! So, What's the point?!?!?!
Basically, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is Windows Defender (antispyware) + its own antivirus engine. If you look closely at the version, you will see that Windows Defender's exact same antispyware engine is incorporated into MSE and it uses the same definitions to scan for spyware.

So, generally speaking, if you just want a built in antispyware program (sans antivirus), use Windows Defender. If you want antivirus capability as well, use MSE, as it automatically shuts off Windows Defender after it is installed. This is normal behavior, since it is already using the same antispyware engine and definitions found in Windows Defender.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Reaction score
Thank's for your replays!!
this cleared up my confusion.
Tank you again!!

Ask a Question