SOLVED Internet explorer

Reaction score
Did a clean install with Win 7 in April. Everything went fine. Now for the last two weeks internet explorer freezes up. Says not responding. Do ctrl alt del and cancel and start over. I do this a couple time a day. Anybody have any ideas?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
IE freezing up? That's not a bug, that's a feature.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit version? Try the other one. Does it do the same? Are you current on patches? How's your malware/antivirus protection? Do other applications also experience freezes, or just IE8? Have you noticed if the problem appears with just any website or specific sites? Is Flash up to date? Installed any new applications recently?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Using 32bit. Have tried 64 bit. Current on all patches. Have malware/antivirus protection. Just the IE8 freezes up. Mostly when clicking links. But sometimes it freezes up when just clicking on IE. Occurs with any web site.

Reaction score
Try resetting I.E. to default settings:

Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab

Click reset.

Then close and restart IE to test.

If still not good, it's very likely your antivirus is responsible for the problem. Uninstall and replace with MSE.

Reaction score
O.K. Thanks for the tip. I just did that and it appears it is working just fine now. If not later, I'll think about changeing my anti-virus. I'm running the free AVG one now. By the way what does the MSE stand for?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
O.K. Thanks for the tip. I just did that and it appears it is working just fine now. If not later, I'll think about changeing my anti-virus. I'm running the free AVG one now. By the way what does the MSE stand for?
Microsoft Security Essentials

Reaction score
Thanks , I'm also running that too. Have been for over 5 weeks now. No conflict, unless that was what was causing my problem.. But so far so good..

Reaction score
2 further recommendations/tips:

1) It is not very good practice by any means to run 2 antivirus on the same system. It will for sure slow you down and also, doing this is known to cause all sorts of issues.

2) AVG, especially free, is the worst antivirus on the market for tons of reasons from causing poor system performance to causing nasty bsod all the time. Highly recommend that you remove this using the special tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

You're welcome.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You're welcome.
Thanks TorrentG.

I'm hoping he meant Windows Defender. Running 2 real time a/v's is utterly redonkulus. If one is AVG free, it's assinineulus.

Just making up words here.

Reaction score
O.K. TorrentG, I uninstalled the AVG. And using the MSE. Thanks for the info..

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
IE freezing up? That's not a bug, that's a feature.
My Experience; Total fresh system install. Open I.E 8, get three multiple choice pages, open the "search for other browsers" window, click on "find more browsers" at the bottom as Goggle or any other useful search engines aren't shown on the first page.
Get a welcome screen:

Install Firefox.

This on a PC with nothing else, apart from the modem, attached or installed.
Strangely I used to love I.E.7 (in a non-physical way) and never thought of looking elsewhere.

My strange idea of a little joke #1.
In I.E (and others) you can change, with a registry tweak, the displayed name or text in the title bar. I changed mine to "Internet Explorer 7 cannot display this webpage - Windows Internet Explorer".
I never did/have explained to the step-daughter why I.E was saying "Internet Explorer 7 cannot display this webpage" at the top, when she was actually looking at the web page she wanted!!

Hey Ho! Simple things......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like the problem is solved. No problems with IE8 working. thanks everybody.

Reaction score
I reckon AVG must have problems with Win7, as it was and still is perfectly happy with XP.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, the good thing was that you weren't running two AV's at once, because AVG free does not offer "realtime" protection, meaning you have to run the scanner to "clean" anything. But when you are scanning, you're running two AV's.

I agree with TorrentG, AVG belongs in the nearest trash can, it infected my mother-in-law's computer badly. It took two sweeps with MSE & one with Malwarebytes to make it virus free again.

I honestly don't know how they were among the top 15 in the AV-Comparitives list, especially in front of Avast. I was running Avast for a couple of years before MSE came on to the scene recently, and it was a good AV.

Ask a Question