Internet Explorer "connecting"

Reaction score
Hi All

Just upgraded my work laptop to Windows 7 enterprise and I have this odd problem with Internet Explorer 8. Whenever I open the application, it just says "connecting" no matter which site I go to. Looks like a common problem on the net but no suggestions fix it for me.

I open with no add-ons - no success
Reset IE settings - no success
No Proxy config setup

The other problem is that Live Messenger will not connect either (i guess they are the same problem)

Any other browser or application I use is fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Sam

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you had this problem from the very start? It's odd that other browsers work ok. The proxy seettings would have been my first guess, but that checks out ok.

Have you got any firewall or security software running?

Reaction score
Is there a check in the checkbox? - Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings>Automatically Detect Settings

One other thing you can check - From IE press "Alt + F" and see if IE is set to "Work Offline"

However the default settings should have done this already

Reaction score
IE is not set to work offline + there is no check in the box for Auto-Detect settings.

Sometimes IE works. Usually right at the beginning of the day. I usually get sign into messenger sharpish! Then after a period of time IE will stop working. Can't quite work it out.
Sam

Reaction score
This is now fixed. This problem seemed to occur after I had logged into Citrix VPN, I was provided a fix to this problem by our internal support team.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow. This is a first! A member that comes back one year later to say problem solved :)

Respect! We should have more members like you :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was releieved to see your post, Firecat!! - lol. I thought something had gone wrong with my dating system

Ask a Question