Internet Explorer Closes

Reaction score
When I boot up I get: cannot find file:///'. Make sure the path or internet address is correct.

If I click OK it lets me continue. I log-in to Wayne State University. I get the message:
Continue to this website (not recommended).

I go forward anyway. I go to the discussion board and if I click on reply or new thread I get the: Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer. A malfunctiionin or malicious add on has caused internet explorer to close this webpage. I have read and tried all the suggestions on Windows Data Execution Prevention.

The only thing I can think of is that I download the latest version of internet explorer. I have comcast and went to the security software they offered and ran a manual scan. I did download a free virus scan that was not free.

My husband has a slot game that stored score in cache and now he gets the message and closing also.

Help! does anyone have a solution.

Reaction score
Hi realdeb2 - Welcome to the site :ciao:

You can try setting Explorer back to factory default settings. To do this you will need to open "Internet Options" from "Control Panel". Then go to the Advanced Tab where the Reset Button is located at the bottom right.
Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced Tab>Reset Button
Close Internet Explorer then open it again to see if this helped.

Have you tried a system restore point by any chance. In the past I have run into problems and needed to fall back a few days to correct the problem.

You mentioned the virus software that you had downloaded. Did you run the program and if so did it find anything. There are freeware anti-virus programs available for download. Such as "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition" or "Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus". There is also "Kaspersky Free Online Virus Scan". Anti-spyware programs can help as well. Such as "Lavasoft Ad-aware" or "Spybot Search&Destroy".

Ask a Question