Intel Claims GPUs are Only 14x Faster

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

In most instances, a rival company candidly admitting that your product performs substantially better doesn’t exactly seem like bad press at all.

In a technical paper presented by Intel, the company conceded that GPUs are faster than the traditional CPU, but only by 14 times. The thing is, NVIDIA claims that its current generation of GPUs are over 100x more efficient.

Titled, “Debunking the 100x GPU vs CPU Myth”, Intel’s presentation pitted a GTX 280 against a Intel Core i7 960 and concluded that in select application kernels GPUs operate only up to 14x faster. However, NVIDIA reports, Intel failed to release critical details about how the tests were structured, what settings were configured and how the applications were run. They also provide a handful of counter research from places such as Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital showing the improvements of GPUs measured between 100x and 300x.

Here’s a solution, let’s compromise and accept that the median performance improvement of a GPUs is only 57x faster. Sound fair?

More details on the study and counter studies can be found through the Source link below.

Tags: 14x faster, gpus, intel, nvidia

Source

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Nibiur wrote
Here’s a solution, let’s compromise and accept that the median performance improvement of a GPUs is only 57x faster. Sound fair?
As a ATI HD 5970 / Intel i7 user ... yep sounds fair :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've been seeing this argument a lot lately and I think it is silly. It is like saying Oshkosh firetrucks are better than Mack dump trucks. Sure, they are both trucks, but they are designed to serve different functions. CPUs and GPUs are both processor units, but they serve different functions.

Ask a Question