Intel 5350 wimax intel says illegal to install yourself

Reaction score
i purchased an intel 5350 wimax card from ebay. I have an asus g60 from best buy running windows 7 home premium 64bit. I installed the card into the system and tried the intel drivers first... it finds the drivers and installs them and it shows up under device manager, however once you reboot the 5350 wimax card nolonger shows up under device manager section of wimax card, it now shows up under usb device section and is listed as an unknown device.
I then reformat the laptop and then when it is done the first thing i do is try another driver such as the IBM driver and the same thing with the device manager happens again. I then reformat once again and try another driver such as the dell studio drivers and the same thing after reboot, unknown device under usb section of device manager.
So i called intel... intel told me that it maybe illegal for end users to install any wimax card as they can only be installed by the manufactor and the device would have a sticker that says wimax approved meaning that the unit is shipped with a wimax card installed from the factory. I pointed out that the intel wimax 5350 is approved by the fcc.... they said it does not matter.... here is the article they told me to read and below is the part i am talking about

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm

If the manufacturer does not have the necessary approvals, the party installing the device is responsible for those approvals. Installing these adapters in an unauthorized system may be illegal. The end user is not authorized to install these wireless adapters. They can only be installed by the manufacturer or its authorized representative.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it would help or not but you could check if there is a Bios Update for your machine that would then allow this card to be installed and used.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it would help or not but you could check if there is a Bios Update for your machine that would then allow this card to be installed and used.
thanks for the idea, i have the latest bios and no option in the bios for wimax as far as i can tell....

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've read in a few places of manually installing the drivers. By this I mean you'd extract the drivers into a folder then go into your Device Manager and browsing for the extracted files and installing that way.

Reaction score
I've read in a few places of manually installing the drivers. By this I mean you'd extract the drivers into a folder then go into your Device Manager and browsing for the extracted files and installing that way.

tried that to and the same issue.... now i have the silly intel connection icon on the task bar but it says it is not ready.... i used the yota drivers from russia and they worked for the device manager and then upgraded from those to the lastest intel which gave me the icon on the taskbar and then the intel connection utility says their is not any device ... see attachment file of the screen shots i have...

Attachments

Ask a Question