Integrated Audio not passing DD or DTS

Reaction score
Hello All,

Don't want to sound trite, but I am new to this forum and having trouble with all onboard audio in that both my SPDIF and HDMI connections will only pass PCM 2 channel and not the native DD or DTS to my Onkyo 607 receiver. When I play the exact same files on my laptop (Nvidia HDMI and sound equipped), DD and DTS pass through fine

Here are specifics:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-V EVO USB 3
Onboard graphics: ATI 4250
Onboard audio connections include an SPDIF, which is controlled by the Realtkek driver and a HDMI which is controlled by the AMD or ATI "HDMI High Definition Audio Device" driver
I downloaded the latest audio driver (Realtek) from ASUS for my motherboard and I installed the latest version of CCC from ATI which installed the AMD HDMI driver. From troubleshooting my problem, I learned if I unistall the Realtek, Windows automatically downloads a windows driver for the "High Definition Audio Device (SPDIF)" and if I uninstall the "AMD HDMI driver" windows installs an "ATI HDMI driver. But no change

I do get sound over both the HDMI and SPDIF tested separately; however, the sound is not DD or DTS, as it should be for these files but 2 channel PCM.

In the audio properties, both HDMI and SPDIF are listed and show working properly. The SPDIF connection shows supported formats of "DD" "DTS" and WMA Pro" as well as allowing me to select sample rates supported by my receiver. I can also run the "test" button to the right allowing me to test each format. I hear the ding through my receiver on the speakers and get the correct format on my receiver's display, but this is as far as it goes. Any movie played with DD or DTS through windows (WMP in this case) only passes 2 channel PCM. Now for the HDMI

THe HDMI High Definition Audio properties says, "No supported formats" and only says, "2 channel stereo." Again, it only passes through 2 channel PCM. The ATI 4200 integrated HDMI specs say it supports 5.1 DD. The onboard SPDIF should do up to 7.1 and pass both DD and DTS. I know that the audio properties for some integrated sound/motherboards have boxes you can check for DTS and DD pass through, but my ASUS have no such option.

I am really at a loss here. The sounds not completely broken as I do get sound from both the HDMI and SPDIF, but my onboard audio, for reasons of hardware or drivers supporting the hardware, is not passing through the native audio format.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Warren

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not an expert on sound so these are just ideas...

First, as always, make sure you are using the latest drivers for your sound controller.

Second, this sounds like a playback issue. Is it possible you do not have the codecs installed that would allow for playback of these choices? You might try installing the K-Lite codec pack.

Ask a Question