SOLVED HD definition audio driver keeps reinstalling itself

Reaction score
Guys, Ive searched this problem on the internet and cant seem to get rid of the originial file. My systems is windows 7 home with, I think, Realtek HD audio driver on an Asus board.

The checkbox in device manager to erase the files orignal files doesnt show up. I uninstall it and then reinstall it and every time I shutdown computer and startup, it has no sound. I think the file is somehow currupted because I can enable and disable and then enable again until the sound suddently comes back on.

Knowing this has something to do with my audio driver I then try to go for where I think windows keeps all its audio drivers to try and erase the files that are listed in device manager. But once I attempt to delete them, it then says that I need to be a "trusted" something in order to erase anything related to an audio file in the windows/system32/drivers. ( I think that is the path it showed me)

I tried erasing it them in safe mode then restarting in safe mode, and to my surprise, it reinstalls it even in safe mode. I know its a corrupt driver, but somehow, windows keeps reinstalling the same corrupt file from somewhere.

Im losing my mind and about to smash my computer since everytime I have to constantly fix the sound until it works just to play a pc game.

Reaction score
Ok guys Ive found the solution for fixing the problem of my inability to get rid of the HD Audio files that are installed within the windows/system32/drivers folder In wheres windows seem to keep reinstalling the same HD Audio file no matter what I do. The answer is,.....Get rid of onboard Realtek sound card by simply disabling it in the soft bios!

Just got sick of it and installed a 12 year old generic 4 channel pci sound card into the only regular pci slot that is available on my Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 with an Intel I5 cpu. Since the Reatek onboard device used 8 channels, I didnt think my 12 year old sound card would work at all.

After disabling my onboard Realtek audio, I mounted the card and it didnt work at first, but in the device manager it had a yellow exclamation point and labeled it a media device. It could see it, but not run it due to no existing driver.

Since this card was made by "CompUSA" many years ago and that specific store went under years ago, I figured I wouldnt find any updated drivers. The original disk said it was rated for win98, win98SE, ME, 2000 and XP and I even tried to install it with no avail.

However, I went online and looked at some other 4 channel pci sound cards systems on the net and peaked at several of their requirements. One of them was also a 4 channel pci sound card and it to supported the ones mentioned earlier with the CompUSA card. But, it also had windows 7 32/64 listed. The driver is for a company called "C-Media" who apparently also made 4 channel pci cards.

So I download it and install it thinking it may not work, and to my wonderful surprise, It worked with my CompUSA driver for my windows 7. Now my "CompUSA sound card" is labeled in device manager as "C-Media pci sound card"

Tested it out and it works fine for all my games, mp3s watching movies, etc. Im actually glad I didnt have to go out and buy a sound card.

Last edited:

Ask a Question