SOLVED Installing Memorex Expressit under Win 7

Reaction score
I am trying to install Memorex's "exPressit Label Design Studio software on my Win 7 system. When I run the installer, I get to the point where I get the error message:

"the file C:\Windows\System32\ctl3d32.dll could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. Access is denied."

This is a 250gb drive, with 175gb free space, so the drive is not full. I can access the Windows\System32 directory, so the security level is not a problem.

Does anyone have a clue why I cannot install the program. The program is a free program that is designed to print disk labels on Memorex CD/DVD's. It was downloaded from the Memorex web site, so it is a safe program.

Thanks for any help.

Ed Wood

Reaction score
It sounds like a permissions issue. Try taking ownership of the file before the install and run the installer as Administrator.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a permissions issue. Try taking ownership of the file before the install and run the installer as Administrator.

That would probably work if it was possible; you can't take ownership of files. Only folders, and I don't think taking ownership of the system32 folder is a good idea.

Though, it might be able install in safe mode.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks for the take ownership patch. I installed it, then ran the Install Wizard for the Memorex exPressit program, and it installed without a hitch.

Have a great one.
Ed

Reaction score
Thanks for the take ownership patch. I installed it, then ran the Install Wizard for the Memorex exPressit program, and it installed without a hitch.

Have a great one.
Ed
Ain't success grand?:beer:

Reaction score
I can take ownership of files with a little registry tweak. And so can you. Enjoy!

I am having the same problem and trying to install the registry tweak. It keep opening in Window word pad, what can I do to get this to install correctly?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If double clicking opens it in Wordpad (Notepad?) try right clicking and select "Merge" from your Context Menu.

Reaction score
If double clicking opens it in Wordpad (Notepad?) try right clicking and select "Merge" from your Context Menu.

Sorry to be so thick on this subject, but when I right click I don't see "Merger" nor do I see a Context Menu. I am opening if from my download folder.

Thanks

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
No but that's what Iwas trying to do when it opened in wordpad (notepad) . I have even deleted it, rebooted and redownloaded it but still the same result.
Ok, right click the (zip) file. You should see an option "Extract to...". Use that first.

Reaction score
Okay, this just worked for me.

Download 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Install it then right click your file and mouse over 7-Zip and you will see "Extract" options.

Thanks for the download, that fixed the problem with me not being able to install the registry tweak. I installed the tweak then tried again to install the expressit software. I am still getting the same error. I'm sure there is some action I must execute to get around this, however I am not sure what that action would be.

Ask a Question