Overriding selected update preference and installing all 210 updates

Reaction score
Hello All,

The last two times I have set laptop back to factory settings I have selected the option to check for updates and let me install them. The os appears to override this option I made and installed up to 210 updates...which also totally bogs the laptop down hence stopping the updates in the first place.

Why is this doing this and what updates are suggested to leave out so the laptop runs quickly?

Thanks

Jonathan.

It has been recommended I install service pack 1 after a clean/factory install, Even after this I set to I choose when to install updates and OS overrides that setting and installs all 210.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you install some Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Security Essentials it turns automatic update back on, so just set the settings AFTER you reinstall all your software and then it should stay that way.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I havn't installed any software since I factory reset the laptop. I have just now noticed the windows update has reverted to 'Install updates automatically' without any additional additional software. I need to find a solution to this as if I dont watch the windows update setting the laptop will install updates over a 5 hour period(not letting me use the machine)..and install unwanted updates I dont want which bogs the performance of the pc down.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Ask a Question