SOLVED Installing legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and restoring files

Reaction score
I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on Ebay, and did not realize that it was a illegal copy until I upgraded to SP1, then got the message that it was not a legal copy. I should have suspected something when I was given a download link to go to to download the iso file, and the Activation code was emailed to me, but I thought that by not providing the DVD, Manual, etc, that was how I was able to save money. I have just recently purchased a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that includes the COA, DVD, manuals, etc.

My question is: can I make a system backup of my current "C" drive on Drive "X", by creating a system image, reformat my "C" drive, install the legal copy of W7 Ultimate, then do a system restore of the image file to drive "C" so that I will not have to reinstall all of my other programs? This seems to me to be the only way to remove all of the illegal files on my computer from the illegal copy of W7 Ultimate and save me the hassle of having to reinstall everything that I have loaded on my computer since the installation of the illegal copy of W7 Ultimate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Ed Wood

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Was this download link directly from Microsoft? If so then it was a valid file... in which case, you can simply input the code from your legally purchased package, reactivate Windows, and should be good to go.

To answer your question I hear what you are asking, but system restore doesn't work that way. As long as the download you used for the install was from a legitimate (ie safe) disc image, then all you need to do is input the code from the retail box. I believe typing activate within the start search box will take you to the right area to do this.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
edawood - there has been and continues to be available, legitimate downloads of Windows 7 ISOs and legitimate product keys emailed to current users. Many college and university students have received their copy of Windows 7 through that method at a special student discount. Whenever the ISO image file download is from Digital River, you may be assured of a genuine clean legitimate copy of Windows 7. It's the product key that makes the difference in your situation.

You probably received your key from someone selling MS TechNet subscriber keys, which was and is a big no-no as they're intended ONLY for the subscriber's use and no one else. MS in the last 6-9 months has blacklisted thousands of keys that were sold that way and also at the same time reduced the number of keys available to current TechNet subscribers.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Kougars advice, in his last sentence, will work. The consideration here is, as already suggested, from what source did you download. You appear to have been using it for some time, so, if you are happy that you have not picked up any stray keyloggers or other hidden nasties, in your download., then there is no reason to reinstall.

Reaction score
I did not download the iso from Microsoft's website. I don't remember the URL that I used. I cannot use the automatic updates. Every time I try to update it, I get the message screen that it is an illegal copy of Windows. That is the reason I thought that I needed to reformat my "C" drive and do a clean install.

If you think that just changing the activation code and trying to activate it, I will try that first. If all else fails, I suppose that I must reinstall all of my software again. A big hassle, but my own fault for trying to save a few $$$.

Regards,
Ed

Reaction score
Additional thought:

Can I do an image backup and select all files EXCEPT the Win 7 Ultimate files, then after the clean install do a system restore to salvage my other programs? At least that would save a lot of time and work.

Thanks again,
Ed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Changing the activation code WILL work but ...

On a reinstall you can use Windows easy transfer to save user settings and data but you still have to reinstall all your programs plus reapply any registry tweaks/group policy changes you made.

The only programs you could recover are ones that make no changes to the registry (such as portable thumb drive apps) and even then you would manually have to add their shortcuts to your start menu, taskbar, and desktop as desired. In other words any program that changes the registry must be reinstalled so that that change is made on your fresh OS.

Reaction score
Using the Control Panel/System and Security/System/, upon clicking on the "Change product key" under that tab, nothing happens. The window shows a Product ID: of an OEM copy of W7 Ultimate. How can I change it to reflect the purchase of the new retail version of W7 Ultimate that I purchased without using the above method?

Thanks,
Ed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System.
At the very bottom is an option to "change product key"

Reaction score
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System.
At the very bottom is an option to "change product key"
That is where I went in the above post. When I click on the "Change product key" line, nothing happens. It does not open up the serial number/product key page where I can type in the new product key.

Is the product key stored in a file that I can delete? Then I could enter the new product key, and hopefully, everything would work correctly.

Thanks again,
Ed

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Oh dear. Looks like the situation is rather more complex, if you have an OEM installed.
I am not sure on that. I don't think you can change an OEM key to a full legit key so easily. You would probably have to find a hack. But maybe someone will have an idea on it.
An alternative migh be for you to partition your hard disk and install a legit copy on the other partition. This will automatically create a dual boot. You can then use the easy transfer method to bring some of the data across (not always 100% succesful) or, at your leisure, commence using your new installation and reinstall your software as needed. You will then be in a position to copy and paste a great deal of the private data you have on the old installation.

Reaction score
In surfing for an answer, I found the solution to Manually change the product key from DOS.

1. Click on Start and type 'cmd' in the search box.

2. This will open the Command Prompt.

3. Now type the following text line on the command prompt blinking cursor:
slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
NOTE: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX should be your NEW Product Key.

4. Press 'Enter' to change the Product Key.

5. Type slmgr.vbs -ato

6. This will activate Windows 7 with your NEW Product Key.

I hope this helps.
Ed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's great! Never knew that. Glad you got it solved.

Reaction score
Even though I was able to input the new legit Product Key, when I dl the latest updates, the "not authentic copy of Win 7" appeared. I then did an update install to overwrite my Win 7 files without doing a 'clean' install. After several hours of installation time, when the system rebooted with the latest updates installed the "not authentic" message reappeared.

I suppose that the only way I will be able to solve this issue is to reformat my boot drive, do a 'clean' install, then reinstall all of my programs, reset my desktop, copy data files, etc. One of my biggest objections to that is trying to salvage my email, contacts list, and other settings in Outlook 2007. I have never been able to recover this information in the past, even using the procedure recommended by MS.

Oh well, lesson learned about trying to save a few $$$.

Have a good one!
Ed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
After you enter the new key you need to Activate it; that should remove the not authentic error. Type Activate in the start-search bar.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not certain, but I believe that hack ( officially documented by MS) will not allow you to put a genuine ultimate key into an OEM product. But certainly worth a try.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Regarding Outlook 2007, have you used Outlook 2007 to export a copy of your data, contact list, etc, and saved that file to a flash drive? After you finish reinstalling the new system you should be able to import them, that's the entire reason the export function exists.

I am not certain, but I believe that hack ( officially documented by MS) will not allow you to put a genuine ultimate key into an OEM product. But certainly worth a try.
I have to second this... OEM installs have very tight rules applied to them, and that may be why it isn't allowing a different key to be used.

At this point since you are not sure where you downloaded the source install media from, a clean install sounds the most prudent and safest route to go. Technet keys are NOT OEM, so I am pretty sure what the guy gave you was not a Technet key.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After following the advice of Trainable Man listed above in this blog, I was able to activate the new install and resolved my issues. I can now click on 'Start', right click on 'computer' on the right dialog window, click properties, then scroll down to the bottom of the 'System' window. It tells me that Windows is now activated, and the "Genuine Windows" logo appears.

Thanks to all you guys for your help.

Ask a Question