install XP

Reaction score
Hello,
If i had installed win 7, can't i install XP? because:
I have win 7 installed, and want to install also win XP, so I restarted after putting the win XP CD, and when it comes to beginning the setup a blue screen appears telling me that my system might contains viruses, and that i must remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers, and to make sure that my hard drive is properly configured & terminated, and finally that I must run CHKDSK \F then restart my computer.
I tried 2 XP CDs I have but same thing!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
diraniyoussef, welcome to the forum! I've had the same exact problem when trying to install Win 2K or XP Pro on my drive, that same message appears. I don't understand the message, because first, I have no viruses on my desktop, and I'm not going to run chkdsk\f, because you try to do the install again, the same message comes up.

But I do join you in your post, because I've never received a straight answer yet. Some have said you can't install XP on larger than 127 or 137GB discs, but I had an Optiplex with a 500GB drive, it installed fine, in fact I was dual booting XP home and pro. As I remember, the processor was a Pentium 4 H/T.

The only difference that I can think of is the one installed in that computer was an IDE, the one I now have is SATA. But I'd like to have XP Pro on here as a regular install, not in a VM. Hopefully, with another member wanting to know why, someone will come up with a straight, accurate answer.

Cat

Reaction score
Some have said you can't install XP on larger than 127 or 137GB discs
That would be a FAT32 limitation. Using NTFS would not have the same limitation. And if you decided to use XP to create the FAT32 partition the limitation would be even smaller, the limitation would then be 32GB.

Reaction score
Use Windows 7 Disk Management and mark the partition that you want XP on as the active partition. Reboot and try installing XP on the new active partition. Once Windows XP is installed use Disk Manager in XP to mark Windows 7 partition active again then reboot.

I can't say for sure but Windows XP thinking you have a virus could stem from the fact that XP was not programmed to understand the operating system that Windows 7 has. Therefore interpreting the changes as a virus.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks, at least I have a straight answer to begin to work with now. I'm going to have to put my second drive back into it's case to make the changes, and hopefully get XP installed.

I was considering a clone to the drive from my notebook, but the problem with a MOBO change (from my notebook to desktop) would surface. However, if the OS's were not activated yet, I can't see a problem. But that would be a lot of work, doing all of these installs from scratch, then cloning it to this drive. It may not even work anyway, but I can't see why it wouldn't, being that the activation process has yet to take place (that's when the MOBO check is done).

And lastly, XP installs better on IDE drives than SATA ones. An example of this is when you boot off the install disc, you can see all of those files going by (prior to making partition selections). No SATA controllers in 2K or XP shows up at all. All are IDE controllers. So what if I fire up the OS, only to get a message saying it won't boot?

I'll first try your suggestion, c_c, and go from there. If an IDE drive is required, I'll get one around 120GB for the purpose, with a case that has an eSATA fitting. That way, I'll be ready when I order that part you showed me that you can connect up to 5 eSATA devices. I still have the page bookmarked.:)

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That would be a FAT32 limitation. Using NTFS would not have the same limitation. And if you decided to use XP to create the FAT32 partition the limitation would be even smaller, the limitation would then be 32GB.
I could live with that on Win 2K, it only uses 5 out of the 10GB partition on my notebook for it. Plus, what's even more amazing about that, it has more installed programs that the other three OS's put together.

Not having to archive service pack files makes a huge difference.

Reaction score
catilley1092;47074 And lastly said:
I'm not sure about that Cat. I've only ever had XP on SATA drives and never had problems with the install.

Reaction score
it worked

Hello guys,
I've been reading about it, and the solution _in my case_ was to go in Bios mode, go under Advanced tab, and change the SATA controller mode from AHCI to Compatibility, and it worked. However I've read about people where that wasn't enough with them to be able to install XP, e.g: others were ok when they've plugged _hardware speaking_ the CD/DVD and the hard disk together on the same guide line, and all the components were new components.
Hope you could benefit.
Sincerely

Ask a Question