SOLVED Install of Pinnacle Studio 14 aborts: Needs .Net Framework 2.0

Reaction score
Having had BSOD problems with Pinnacle Studio 14 on Windows 7 Home Premium, I un-installed it and then tried to re-install.

But the re-installation gave the following message:

"Pinnacle Studio 14 requires Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 to function.
Please run setup.exe to install this prerequisite."

- and abandons the install.

What setup.exe? How does one install .Net Framework 2.0?

(N.B. PS14 did not give that message when I originally installed.)

Reaction score
Reaction score
How strange! Can you try uninstalling the .NET 2.0 framework completely please and then try to install Pinnacle to see if it installs it as part of the bundle.

http://www.blogsdna.com/4171/how-to-completely-uninstall-net-framework-on-windows-7.htm

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot.
Ran that - it reported 'successful':D

Re-tried Pinnacle install: Same failure as before!

(Also tried re-booting W7; same problem, so ran NetFx64.exe again - it reported "Already installed"!

So I'm really stumped. Pinnacle Studio installed OK a few weeks ago, but will not now. :mad:

N .B. See my recent thread in "Crashes, BSOD *& Debugging" with title
"Pinnacle Studio ... gives BSOD..." for what I was advised to try...

Perhaps something in there his causing the problem?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's not the fault of Windows 7 or .NET applications.

It's Pinnacle Studio! I used to use it, but it's a complete P.I.T.A. to use and work.

Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3 is a better piece of software, however I know this suggestion isn't going to resolve your situation.

What I had to do was use Acronis True Image Home, install the backup I made of my base Windows 7 Pro x64 setup and then reinstall Pinnacle.

This is one of the reasons every serious computer user should have an imaging backup software program and either an extra internal hard drive or external hard drive.

I hope you get this resolved without too much hassle. I don't know of any registry hacks that can get around this issue you're having.

Reaction score
It's not the fault of Windows 7 or .NET applications.

It's Pinnacle Studio!
I hope you get this resolved without too much hassle. I don't know of any registry hacks that can get around this issue you're having.
As I have only started using Windows 7 recently - just for video editing - I have not taken any backup (as I do on my 'production' system), so I am going to have to re-install W7 from scratch and try the Pinnacle install afresh.

I have used Pinnacle Studio 12 under WinXp for years, quite happily, though it is a bit of a slowcoach. I still have it on my previous PC, and can revert to using that - but I wanted to have the benefit of a faster PC (which came with W7) and the latest Pinnacle Studio.

Pinnacle Studio 14 installed perfectly on this W7, but then struck BSOD frequently during rendering of disk images, and I suspect my attempts to implement the various fixes sugegsted elsewhere have fouled up thie installation.

If I can't get it working on re-installed W7 I shall try installing WinXP instead.

Many thnanks for your fast responses - much appeciated!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
maurice99 - If you're using the Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you run your software in what's called Virtual XP, that may help out.

Also do all updates that are available on the Windows Update site, at least the critical ones and any .NET updates too.

Be sure you have the latest up to date drivers on hand too.

Reaction score
Pinnacle Studio 14 now re-installed on a re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

Only problem is there is no sound - not even in Windows Media Player! :(
But there was sound with the original install of W7 - and still is if I boot e.g. Linux...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As Nibiru suggested, it's probably a good time to find a compatible app for Windows 7, or upgrading to 7 Pro, and using the free XP Mode (it must be manually downloaded & installed).

If your version of Windows 7 was OEM installed from the factory (usually Windows 7 Home Premium), you can easily upgrade to Pro through the Start Menu for less than $100 (US Dollars). You purchase the key, go back to the Anytime Upgrade option, and enter the key that you purchased. That key is good only for the OS that you upgrade it from, it is tied to that license key, and not the computer itself.

Meaning that if you have to buy a new OS, due to a failed motherboard, or if you don't have reinstall discs (in case of hardware or software failure) to reinstall your original OS with. So it's a good idea to keep a set of reinstall discs handy.

The upgrade is simple, your files stay in place, it takes about 10 minutes for the upgrade to fully install. The computer must be connected to the internet at the time it's being upgraded. Afterwards, the only change that you'll see is the Professional name at startup.

That will entitle you to obtain XP Mode, at no further charge to you. You will probably have to enable hardware assisted virtualization (HAV) in the BIOS, instructions for different makes of computers can be found on the Windows Virtual PC home page. If your computer does not that option, that's OK, Windows has an update to allow you to run XP Mode. It will be displayed with the other two downloads, if you need it.

There are other benefits of having Pro, but for most, XP Mode seems to be the main reason.

I hope that my post is of help to you, it's unfortunate, but some older programs just doesn't work with Windows 7, without virtualization. It's something to think about, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Nibiru suggested, ...

... but some older programs just doesn't work with Windows 7,
Cat
I don't remember seeing any such suggestion!

The program in question (Pinnacle Studio 14) is the latest version, and did install without problem on the original W7 install.
It did sometiems suffer from BSOD, but I was able to complete the project.

It was only after I attempted various updates (suggested in these fora) to avoid the BSOD's did I find that Studio Pinnacle 14 would not re-install.

Well I have now re-installed W7 - and Pinnacle Studio 14, but am stuck with a completely silent W7. (Device Manager reports "Driver is up to date")

(It is not the hardware - no problem with sound under Linux.)

As for paying out $100 to try to improve on a sick operating system, all I can politely say is NO WAY!
If there is really no way to correct this ridiculous situation where W7 cannot output sound, then I shall drop Windows altogether and use other operating systems that do not suffer from this kind of situation.

I am however, hopeful that someone in here can come up with a simple solution to this dead-in-the-water situation. as - despite all the travail - I would prefer to stick with Pinnacle (on the basis of "better the devil you know"...).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nibiru did suggest another software, but if you prefer to stick with what you have, then you may either have to be stuck with issues, or stick with XP altogether to run it.

I'd prefer that you keep Windows 7, but if XP does what you need, by all means, stick with it. You can try compatibility mode, but you may already have.

Either way, I was only trying to help, and wish the best outcome for you, regardless of what you may need to do. Sometimes, that's just the way it is. I'm also a Mint user myself.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks, Cat, for your response and the suggested workaround.
Much appreciated...

Ironically, the problem on the table now is nothing to do with video editing, but simply with the inability to get any sound out of this install of Windows 7.

If there is no way of achieving that with - numerically - the world's No.1 operating system then, frankly, I shall just give up with anything from Redmond.

But I can't believe that no one here can solve this 'no sound' mystery.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have that problem with my notebook, a Dell Latitude D610, when I install Vista or Windows 7 on it. The multimedia audio controller has to be installed by my driver disc that I bought on eBay for $5. It's not on the list of downloads on Dell's site for it.

But when I install Win 2K, any version of XP or Linux, the sound is perfect.

Windows 7 is a great OS, the best that I've had, but like the rest, it's not perfect. You can go to "Device Manager" and take a look to see what is missing. If you can't find the driver for your computer the OEM site, a driver disc may be what you need. I've solved a few issues with it. And they can be found on eBay for little as $5.

Cat

Reaction score
If you can't find the driver for your computer the OEM site, a driver disc may be what you need.
Cat
The confusion was that W7 Device Manager said I did have a driver, and that it was up to date.

Finally, I found the ASUS motherboard support DVD and got Device Manager to update the driver from there.

Even then, I still had no sound. However, during my Google searches I found one lone suggestion to try right clicking on the Volume icon, selecting 'playback devices' and setting the default to 'speakers'.
Sadly there was no 'speaker' option, but after the above driver update there was, and setting the default to 'speakers', I now have sound!

As the original 'Pinnacle install' problem has been solved by the W7 re-install, this thread can now be marked 'SOLVED'.

Many thanks to all who pitched in - much appreciated!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to see that you finally got things sorted out. If in the future, you need assistance, always feel free to come back.

Cat

Reaction score
It's Pinnacle Studio! I used to use it, but it's a complete P.I.T.A. to use and work.

Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3 is a better piece of software, however I know this suggestion isn't going to resolve your situation.

Is the pro X4 version even better, or is X3 a safer bet?

(I've read many reviews of both - mainly positive - but several complain of the program locking up, though no mention of BSOD's...)

Ask a Question