Install Locks up after resizing screen

Reaction score
during a clean install, after expanding and updating and it says "completing..." it resized the screen and then it freezes forever.
I have tried dozens of different ways to install windows7, from reinstall a clean install of vista and then just trying to upgrade, to many clean installs on windows 7.
Actually, you can read the fun I have had at www.lessthansimple.com.

Not only cant i load Windows7, but when i installed vista again, I cant get the media center to recognize my internal tv tuner.

Please stop hiring amateur programmers....

Tony

Reaction score
Hi Easterbird - Welcome to w7forums

Thats quite a story and explains exactly what you have tried.

HP Pavilion Slimline s3220n Desktop PC
Motherboard, Asus M2N61-AR (Acacia)

I do however have a few question's?
Does the Vista install allow you to create recovery DVD's?
If so have you done this?
Or did the HP machine come with the Recovery DVD's?

You mentioned something about Pre-Loaded software. I presume this is the recovery partition. I have heard about three people having trouble installing Windows 7 with this recovery partition still on the drive. You may need to delete this recovery partition to complete the install.

If you decide to remove this partition, You can place it back later if you have created a drive image of this partition.

Here are a few freeware tools that will work with specific drives.
https://www.w7forums.com/backup-you-hard-drive-acronis-t1489.html
Here is another that will work with any drive and is freeware.
https://www.w7forums.com/best-free-backup-software-paragon-t1916.html
I have heard one story that there was a hidden recovery partition that Windows 7 installation could not see. After using Paragon Partition Wizard and removing the recovery partition, Windows 7 would then install.

Steps

Create an image of the recovery partition.
Remove all partitions even hidden partitions.
Install Windows 7.
Boot to a drive imaging DVD
Create an image of Windows 7 after install.
Restore the recovery partition (Sector by Sector option) back to the drive.
Also restore the MBR from the recovery image to restore the recovery option at boot.
Restore the Windows 7 Partition to the rest of the drive.

And if Windows 7 does not want to boot afterward.
You can use the Windows 7 DVD to repair tools to repair Windows 7 Boot files.

Reaction score
Windows 7 intall freezes after resizing screen

Mr Cooley...

In one of the dozen different ways I tried to install Windows 7, I did clean the hard drive using partitionmagic. To answer your question about the recovery disc, I made the recovery disc as my first step before the install. The preload programs I was talking about was the annoying programs loaded after the reinstall, like aol, snapfish, etc.

I am just a sheep herder who really just wanted to upgrade my operating system from the horrible Vista. I shouldn't have to download extra programs just to install a program. It seems to me that Microsoft is spiraling out of control on the operating system market. The more they try to fix it, the worse it gets. Windows 7 is just another bad attempt to fix a broken problem.

As a sheep rancher, an average joe, I can tell you that I would prefer if Microsoft would just allow me to install the operating system, and give me the CHOICE later on to install all the other crap they seem to want to shove down my throat that I never use, i.e calculator, calendar, font manager, messenger, windows live, photo gallery, windows mail......etc

The only reason I was hanging on to Vista was because of the Media Center and the ability to watch and record TV. Now that this Windows 7 install fiasco has killed my Media Center, there is no point in keeping Vista on my machine.

I will partition the hard drive again, but this time I am going to install my old copy of Windows XP Professional and live happily every after.

Thanks

Easterbird Tony
Easterbird.com

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Tony,

Try this, don't use any partition programs, they can cause problems when installing windows 7. When you get to the screen during the install that shows the hard drive and it's partitions, use the "Delete" feature to delete ALL partitions!

Then create a new partition of anywhere from 40-50 GB in size, Windows 7 will also create a 100MB partition automatically, this is the "Boot" partition. Leave it alone. The remaining space just create another partition. Install Windows 7 to that partition you created of 40-50 GB. The install should run just fine now.

Installing Windows 7 is really not THAT difficult. MOST of the problems people have experienced is when they do an Upgrade install instead of a Custom or Clean install.

Go to this website HERE for a good tutorial.

Reaction score
Windows 7 install freezes on completing install screen

Nibiru...

On the tutorial it freezes on step 21 of 34. This means windows7 never loads, it never asks for the key, it never configures.

What I am saying is that I should not have to jump through hoops to install a program from Microsoft. If this was a shareware program, you would erase it immediately if it did not work because you would be afraid that an amateur programmer might write something that can hurt your system.

Someone else wrote me and said that a couple of million copies have been loaded successfully, and that only about one hundred thousand installs failed. Are you kidding me. Would you accept those numbers from an automobile company?

I spent all day long yesterday reformating my hard drive, installing XP Pro, all the updates, and the new drivers, all my programs and moving back my data. Everything is working fine except my media center. Guess I have to live with that... but there is no way I am going to try to install a Microsoft OS again.

Thanks anyway....

Tony
www.lessthansimple.com

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, it's too bad that things aren't working out for you!

The vast majority of Windows 7 installs have gone without a hitch. Most of the problems were with either doing an upgrade install or on old hardware.

I'll bet that is has to be the way you're BIOS is configured or something like that.

Since you're no longer ever going to install a MS OS again... I hope you'll be happy with XP Pro.

Ask a Question