Install Gpedit on Win 7 Home editions

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The original post, outlining how to perform this function, has been deleted by the poster. It was an unreliable fix, copied from other sites. The negative feedback exceeded the successes. Sorry. If you google you will find other instances, but I fear they will also fail in the majority of cases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

New registrant here.

I used your gpedit installation on Home Premium 32bit with mixed results. The console window shows up with the appropriate tree, Computer Configuration, User Configuration and the sub selections etc. but that's as far as it goes. When I click on any of the selections I receive a message that "There are no items to show in this view." Any thoughts on this or someplace I could look?

Thanks

Thor

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have not installed this, though I was thinking about trying it on my HTPC but even in the "real" GPEDIT on my Professional version there are some sections with "no items to view", for example there are no Software Settings under Computer Configuration nor User Configuration. Administrative Templates, on the other hand, has many options.

So my question would be, have you looked in other sections or just the first one?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just letting you know I am not ignoring you. I am medically incapitated at the moment, and am posting through a "borrowed" computer. Should be back towards the end of the week, hopefully. But TrainableMan has pointed out the essence. I use Ultimats. Gpedit was ported to windows 7 from earlier legacy OS's. I also have many empty windows and, further, many of the functions are only related to those legacy's and do not operate in Windows 7. But, as the original author pointed out, if you only have the Home edition, this is the best we can do for the moment.
Gpedit is , in effect, a gui interface to the registry. The spreadsheet which is enclosed, gives the details of the actual registry entries, should you feel brave enough to tackle the functions directly.

Reaction score
I've compared the gpedit console on 7 Home Premium against 7 Pro and Home Premium's setup doesn't even have a complete console. Administrative Templates are totally missing, There are no sub categories under Windows Settings either in Computer Configuration or User Configuration. In other words all I have is an incomplete gui that goes no where. It does absolutely nothing.

@TrainableMan
On my copy of 7 Pro the Software Settings are also "no items to view" but everything else is there, not on Home Premium as stated above. Yes, I did look.
@Dave
No rush Dave, Get well first. I did get the spreadsheet and the registry doesn't bother me.

It's not a big deal to me but my curiosity has been whetted and it would be nice to find out why it's not complete.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well right off the top I would be skeptical of it's use in a 64-bit OS even if it is possible to get it to run, the reason being that there are often tweaks that must be applied to the normal folder tree plus under, for example, Wow6432Node. You could logically expect that if this was ported from a 32-bit system that it would be missing any of the extra registry settings needed for those 64-bit sections, so you get only part of a patch.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Since my last post, I installed Home premium 64Bit and tried the program. I found a problem was that the installer was unable to locate where to put the GpEdit.msc file.
Try this.
I have zipped Gpedit.msc (64Bit) here: (http://www.filefactory.com/fil... ).
Download, Unzip and move it to Windows - System32. Now, try, in the RUN box Gpedit.msc.”
Now I have Installed the 32Bit Home.With the previous suggestion, it works for both 32Bit and 64Bit. you MUST run the installer, but it cannot find the path so then you should manually transfer the unzipped GPedit.msc to System32. The installer sets up the .dlls and other items.

This was the premium! But hopefully it also applies to Basic,

There were reports that it also inserts a copy into WOW64. You can see if you can locate it, and create a shortcut from it to your desktop, or:

Add to your Environment Variables
Open through :
1. Right Click Computer, click on properties
2. Click on Environment Variables...
3. Search "Path" from the System Variables box,
4. add the following text (without quotes) :
";C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"
5. close all the open windows
6. try to run gpedit.msc from the run box

I would suggest a backup of your OS, before trying this. It did work for me on 64 and 32Bit.

Reaction score
Apologies for taking so long to make any replies here.

In the past 2 days I've tried just about everything I can find on the 'net for putting gpedit on Win 7 Home and it seems nothing works properly on my system (x86). I've attached a capture of what I get which is a just very basic gui that doesn't interface with anything.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, Software Settings IS empty even in the W7 Pro version. But yours is completely missing the Administrative templates options which is the most important part and you are apparently also missing any options under Windows Settings.

Picture from W7 Pro's Group Policy Editor:
GPEdit.jpg

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying, nothing's there. So how do I go about getting the "Administrative Templates" and Windows Settings. I would have thought installing the 'fix' would/should have taken care of that.

Thanks,
Thor

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It apparently has mixed results, as mentioned before. It's possible it did not install correctly; have you tried reinstalling? Or, I'm afraid, it simply may not work for you.

I have seen Anytime Upgrades from HomePrem to Pro for as low as $69 at Newegg just this past week and if you need GPEdit then it may be worth it for you to find an upgrade when it's on sale.

Reaction score
It's not an absolute necessity. I can do registry edits if needed. It was just bugging me that it wouldn't work properly and I couldn't find an answer. I did try reinstalling several times.
I have Win 7 Pro on my laptop anyway. I'm still running XP Pro, Home and Vista on a couple of other pc's

Thanks for the input.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have Ultimate so it's already on my machine, didn't know you could download it somewhere out there to put on Home basic and earlier though, nice find davehc :)

Reaction score
Thanks It works!

It works for me - Win 7 Home Premium x64bit English Version. Thanks A LOT for your files, because I was trying on other files founded in the web... with no result.

Thanks once again for posting it!

Regards

Reaction score
I found the answer!

Double click "Computer" on the desktop. Then double-click through the following file path: c: > windows > SysWOW64 > gpedit. Double click "gpedit" (will have a hammer & toolbox icon next to it) and there you go!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I had meant to remove this tutorial, as there seemed to be more failures than successes. But, as there does seem to be some satisfaction, I,ll leave it for anyone who cares, to play with.

Now removed as redundant and not workable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A little help PLEASE

Long story short, I have tried your files and tried to follow instructions, the seemed simple enough, and still no joy. The GroupPolicyUsers folder doesn't exist in my SysWOW64 folder. I'm runny win7 home premium 64 bit. I looked on another laptop that user win7 pro, it had the folder but it was empty. I created one, I still get the snap in error??? I've deleted all GPedit files and folder that I know of and reinstalled again and again.... Still no joy!!! At least it launches, i figure its some minor thing but I just can't figure it out. Any ideas?????

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
PCAVSTOR, if you read above you will see that Dave is no longer supporting this because it only seems to work for a limited few, primarily 32-bit users I believe.

So if it works for you great, if not then it probably never will.

Ask a Question