Install acad 2004 on 64 bit

Reaction score
I am trying to install Autodesk Civil3D 2008 on my new Windows 7 (64bit) machine and it says its unable to install due to the program being 32 bit. I read something about running in 32 bit compatibility mode to run the 32 bit program but am hesitant to change my settings and am a little unfamiliar with executing my machine into 32 bit compatibility mode. Any suggestions for enabling my machine to install/run this program, and any 32-bit program for that matter in case I run into this problem again

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I have moved your post into a thread of its own, since the thread it was posted in was a very old one.

32-bit programs should, as a general rule, execute just fine on a 64-bit platform, unless the application itself is coded (or set through a configuration file) to only allow execution on a 32-bit platform. I believe this is what is happening in your case: the setup program is checking for 64-bit OS and disallowing the setup process to continue upon finding it.

Compatibility settings aren't system-wide, and are quite safe to use without affecting your computer overall. You use them by right-clicking on an .EXE file and going Properties and Compability settings (or similar, I'm on Windows 8 now & I don't remember the old menus by heart). You could try setting the setup to launch in, say, Windows XP compatibility mode, to try and fool the application that it is being launched in XP.

I've not personally had much success with old software and the compatibility settings. If you are not afraid to get your hands dirty, you can look at the second post in this thread. It instructs how to edit the setup information so as to prevent it from checking whether the operating system is 64-bit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hopefully Core's idea works because from what I can find online the official recommendation is to upgrade to 2010 or higher.

They did say 2004 will definitely work on a 32-bit W7 OS or in Windows XP mode.

Ask a Question