IE Desktop Icon

Reaction score
Just switched to Windows 7 from XP. Is there any way to get Internet Explorer Icon on my desktop. Not the shortcut, the real one - I want to be able to right click and select properties or start without add-ons. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi pcnube - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not seeing a way to add IE to the desktop.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Personalization
Look to the left for "Change desktop icons"
There is 5 listings but that doesn't include IE.

I wish I could help you further but it looks as if the shortcut maybe the only way.

Reaction score
Thank you guys.
On another forum somebody suggest this site:
www.fixwin7.com
So I am going to get it and let you know result.

andsome,
On the bottom left icon there is no option for properties. This days anybody can pickup viruses just by visiting your regular site (happens to me many times) so I use IE desktop icon to right click, select properties then go to security and there I can change any settings without actually opening Internet Explorer. That is why I need IE desktop icon just like in my trusty Win XP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is a way to get what you want without installing more software. IE is in the start menu. Drag it out from there with the right mouse button and then select to make a shortcut there. Properties are avail be in this shortcut.:beer:

Reaction score
I have been reading that forum. And asked questions as well.
Your forum is much better! At least somebody talking to me.
Anyway, I am a happy camper now. I have my icon back, bought at the suggested link above:

Thanks everyone for input. That did help me to justify purchase.
Migrating to Windows 7 was a bumpy road for me. After using XP for so long you get attached to specific things OS does for you. But I do like Windows 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
In the Start Menu, you can right click IE and select Properties, if you want to do it that way. I just tried it out, and it works.

Reaction score
The standard shortcut does not give a link to "Internet Options". The properties link in the standard icon does not give the results the poster was asking for.

In XP there is a link for both "Properties" and "Internet Properties".

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The standard shortcut does not give a link to "Internet Options". The properties link in the standard icon does not give the results the poster was asking for.

In XP there is a link for both "Properties" and "Internet Properties".
I see exactly what he's saying now, I looked at it in my XP install, your homepage and security settings are there. That's a very familiar page to me, just haven't used it in a while.

Ask a Question