SOLVED Desktop shortcut icon tries to open install from another program

Reaction score
Hello, I work with my companies IT department. Over the past two years I have had the same problem as listed below. Sometimes uninstalling the software, deleting the software’s folder, cleaning the registry and re-installing the program takes care of the problem. Other times (like this one) it does not.

I have a user who has a desktop icon ( it has worked fine for several months) that when double clicked tries to open an install for another program (Autodesk Civil 3D) already installed on the computer. It is looking for the location folder on a CD for what to install. If I click "OK" it will give an "Error 1706" (not finding the file) and then repeats. If I cancel it instead, then it comes up again. If I cancel it a second time it will actually open the right program and it works normally. I have also tried going to the .EXE file and double clicking it and the same thing happens. It is almost like the .EXE or .INI file associated with the program's shortcut has been corrupted somehow.

We have a default .INI file that we copy to each user’s computer when the software is installed. I checked the users file and it had “garbage” in portions of the file. I recopied the default back to the computer, made the file read only and tried the icon again. The same program tries to open but the .INI file remains unchanged.

How can I get this icon to open the program without going through the install it is trying to open? What might be corrupt?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
I tried the following on a hunch.

I put the CD install disc for the civil 3D program in and re-clicked the icon. It ran through what I would call and install and then quit. The software came up so I shut it down and re-opened it. It worked like a charm. Go figure. The simplest thing fixed it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it fixed because I had no clue. Thank you for sharing your solution; I will mark this solved.

Ask a Question