Changing desktop/folder icons..?

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to replace my desktop icons/shortcuts with the ones I've created.
When I right click, shortcut, change icon, browse to where the icons are located I get a: 'The file contains no icons' message.
If i put all the icon images on my desktop I can then use them, but apart from looking messy I then have double icons for all my folders.

Anyone know what I can do.?

Reaction score
In the Change Icon window, tin the field for for it to look, paste in Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Shell32.dll contains a series of default icons so you can definitely use those as jefboyardee mentioned, you can even find more icons in \Windows\System32\imageres.dll, but to use your own they have to be stored in an acceptable format.

What product did you use to create your personal icons? What is the file extension of your icons?

Even better, if possible, zip one of your icons up and upload it with your next post.

Reaction score
Shell32.dll contains a series of default icons so you can definitely use those as jefboyardee mentioned, you can even find more icons in \Windows\System32\imageres.dll, but to use your own they have to be stored in an acceptable format.

What product did you use to create your personal icons? What is the file extension of your icons?

Even better, if possible, zip one of your icons up and upload it with your next post.
An online converter (can't remember which) here's an example though..

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, so it is a valid .ico. I just wanted to be sure it was an actual icon.

When I store that ico in my pictures library I can change a desktop shortcut icon simply by choosing Browse. In the bottom right of the change icon window make sure the file choice is set to Icons (*.ico) or Icon Files (*.ico, *.icl, *.exe, *.dll) and then I can select your icon from the list. Could you post a screenshot of what you see?
Chg-Icon.jpg

Ask a Question